Lunch downtown? [Food/Vendor]

2007 Mar 2
I've been working at Laurier and Bank for months now, and I'm running out of places to grab a bite for lunch.

Criteria: fresh, inexpensive (i.e. something one can afford a few times a week), non-chain, take-out preferred.

Tried and liked:
- German Town Deli (212 Slater; "the usual": ham on rye, side of potato salad)
- Kebab Kebab (World Exchange Plaza; "the usual": greek salad with grilled chicken and a baklava)
- Marcello's (L'Esplanade Laurier; "the usual": grilled chicken pita, side of tabouli)

Tried and didn't like:
- Eggspectation
- The Polish place (Granny's Kitchen?) on the second floor of L'Esplanade; a coworker who knows Eastern European food rather well told me it's usually very good, but I've had lots of Polish food in my life, this one didn't do it for me, and I can't seem to muster up the courage to try it again.

Any suggestions?

2007 Mar 2
Have you tried the Roasted Cherry? I have had a couple of good meals there... worthy concept, giving back to youth for youth programs - the service is quite casual. www.roastedcherry.com They are located at 93 O'Connor between Laurier and Slater.

2007 Mar 2
I work in the same area and get take out for lunch everyday.

German Town is a twice weekly staple, I highly recommend the soup if you haven't tried it yet.

Bread Sons at Bank & Gloucester serve good organic vegetarian fare with locally sourced ingredients: sandwiches, soup, pizza, bean rolls, etc. It's also a bakery so lots of breads and pastries too. They server homemade falafel on Tuesdays.

Maybe a little out of your way and not always so cheap but Cafe Zucchero on Albert near Lyon is a great lunch treat if you like Italian. The daily soup and sandwich and pasta specials are usually the way to go.

I've been to Roasted Cherry a few times and it's good too but they always seem to be out of soup.

But I find my routine is getting a little stale so I'd love some recommendations as well. And I'll post more suggestions as I think of them.

2007 Mar 2
Caribbean Sizzler maybe...I've gotten takeout there a few times and been happy with it. Or maybe New Generation Sushi?

Just throwing things out there....I often get lunch made for me at work, and the bistro chefs have been in a good mood/trying to impress/calling in a lot of favours, so I have been really well fed lately.

This week:
White bean and bacon soup with mixed greens
Poached eggs on wilted spinach and potato gratin
Pasta with wild mushrooms in cream sauce

Last week:
Wild mushrooms in cream sauce on vol-au-vent with crispy leeks
Deconstructed shawarma made with pork tenderloin, falafel and aioli

among other things...I may need to join a gym.

2007 Mar 4
Have you tried Kaedeya Market? www.japaninottawa.ca/kaedeya/
It's the Japanese grocery store between Suisha Gardens and the German Town Deli. It's an offshoot of Suisha Gardens and thus they are likely are supplied by SG.

At 11:30am they bring out bento boxes of wonderful Japanese meals. $8.65+tax plus free miso soup for the full bento meal. Smaller options include just the meal (main dish) over rice. I can't do it justice but the Xpress did: www.ottawaxpress.ca

It's what got me to try it when I first started working around the area.
Oh and it's quite the popular little place for take-outs so she means it when she mentions the slim pickings after Noon.

:)

2007 Mar 5
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I had forgot about the Roasted Cherry. I had a red curry there a few weeks ago and it was indeed quite nice.

2007 Mar 5
When I worked downtown, Bank and James, I usually went to Herb and Spice for "take-out". You can sit by the window on stools but there are only a few seats.
If I remember correctly, at lunch they have a soup and 2 kinds of stews, always vegetarian. In their open fridge display on the left hand side when you walk in, they carry samosas (meat and veggie ones, baked or fried), wraps, sandwiches, tofu cutlets, curries, etc. They wholesale these items from companies in Ottawa like Rinag, Baraka, Contemporary Cuisine...etc.

mmmm, I miss that :(

2007 Mar 5
Mr Kmennie works in L'Esplanade Laurier; I'm too familiar with Marcello's.

For a better version of the same thing: the Place Bell one. It's called something unremarkable like "Place Bell Delicatessen and Bakery." Loads of good stuff.

NB: their salads, and a few other very-perishable things, are half-off after about 3pm, depending. I don't think it's advertised.

And I can see Place Bell from where I'm sitting right now, but still can't give an accurate location. Between Metcalfe and Elgin at...Gloucester? One block N of Lisgar, at any rate.

2007 Mar 6
There is a little Thai place - I can't remember the name of it - on Kent (east side of the street) between Laurier and Gloucester that I used to go to when I worked downtown. They have take out or you can eat in. It's cafeteria style and there are usually between 8 and 10 dishes to choose from. Be prepared for a bit of a line up of you go between 12 and 12.30. The prices were very reasonable and quantities were good for a lunch portion not to mention that the food was tasty.

2007 Mar 6
Mers, I believe you are referring to Cafe Saffron. A couple of my co-workers are regulars.

2007 Mar 6
Thanks, ollie. That's the name.