Gung Hei Fat Choy! [Events]

2007 Feb 17
So I just got the day off tomorrow! Woohoo!

Opportunity to finally get that dimsum I`ve been craving for so long...pitfalls of working on weekends and busy during the week.

Being that tomorrow is Chinese New Year though, I have a few questions:

a) are places even open?
b) is it worth trying or is everywhere full of people who have made reservations already?
c) recommendations? tips? specials?

2007 Feb 17
On Chinese New Year eve, we had "Hot Pot" (aka Chinese Fondue) for dinner. (Do you know why a round pot is always used for Hot Pot? The roundess of the pot is a symbol of family unity.)

My son's girl friend was invited. She told us that they sometimes have "hot pot" in the garage (The car is parked outside and you set up your picnic table inside the garage. You enjoy the steaming hot food more when the weather is so cold and it is fun!).

To make the soup base for hot pot, I use chicken stock. Basically, I put the whole grained fed chicken (bought from Costco) in the pot and simmer it for 3 hours or more.

The dishes I used for hot pot includ: thinly sliced beef and mutton (bought at Kowloon Market, sliced and frozen ones specially for hot pot), leafy vegetables (normally watercress or spinach), shrimps, clams, mussels, meat balls, fish balls, dry pork skin, tofu, and udon. (Basically, you can use any food that you like).

The portable propane stove does come in handy. (You can find it at 168 Market. I used it to boil water and cook during the snow storm many years ago when the electricity was not available for couple days.)

The hot pot style of dining was nice and slow. Every one takes their time and eat together. You don't need to talk about table manner. Just put the uncooked food in the hot cooking broth by chopsticks and cook for about 15 to 30 seconds.

Once the food is cooked, you dip the food in your favourite dipping sauce (the spicy one will be the best). Watch out if you are having Sichuan style hot pot. It will be an exciting adventure for your tongue's sensation.

2007 Feb 17
This is the sliced raw beef.

Just put them in the pot and cook very briefly. Then dip it in the dipping sauce. I tell you it is delicious!

2007 Feb 17
Here are the shrimps and clams.