Why Biotech can't save the world [General]

2009 Jul 11
A good article Zym. But I always get confused when the issues always get painted in a polarized light (like US Politics does). To me, Biotech is a tool in the toolbox, along with organic, natural, or other 'tools'. When you have a problem, you analyze which tool (or combination of tools) will work best and use that one. If that one didn't work the best, then you try another. In the simplest sense, Biotech can be considered just a more sophisticated version of Gregor Mendel's experimentation with pea plants over 150 years ago. If anything, the problem I see with the Monsanto's of the world isn't their use of Biotech, but the fact that it is the ONLY tool in their toolbox, and the only tool they sell at their store, so even if a hammer might work better for your problem (African farmer), they will still try to sell you a screwdriver. If the Monsantos of the world get smart, they will not try to get everyone to buy the Corn that is resistant to everything (including taste?), but will produce bioengineered equivalents of the push-pull organic methods that are so successful. Then they could offer to sell you the whole toolbox, instead of insisting that a screwdriver will work on your nail.

2009 Jul 12
Perfectly said, Pete-in-Ottawa, but guess what, Monsanto hasn't actually met mother nature and now they are going head-to-head. Their Biotech fooling around has led to Common Ragweed being 100% resistant to ALL of their screwdrivers - lol. The ragweed is presenting itself as a plague throughout the USA in many farmers fields. I subscribe to www.motherearthnews for these updates.