Extra Special - new line of products at Wal Mart [Food/Vendor]

2007 Jan 31
I was recently shopping at the Vanier Wal Mart and found this new product made for Wal Mart called Extra Special.. It's a salad dressing and there are several different flavours. I purchased the Honey Dijon one and I must say it is delicious!

2007 Feb 2
Why buy when you can make your own?

Start with equal parts of Dijon mustard, liquid honey, canola oil and cider vinegar; adjust to your taste. For a creamier texture, substitute unsweetened apple sauce for the vinegar.

Season with any or all of these: garlic (preferably roasted), a drop or two of Asian sesame oil, fresh dill, or whatever else you fancy.

Once you've come up with your ultimate version of honey Dijon, make a big batch--it'll keep in the fridge for a while.

2007 Feb 4
I so agree with you about "make your own". I really prefer this, but you know I so love to keep a small stock of off-the-shelf condiments for quickie snacks and meals.

I do try to make them myself as much as possible.

I'll try your recipe today - for Super Bowl! We'll dip some meatballs in it. Thanks!

BTW as I mentioned in another post, Farm Boy brand condiments are all natural ingredients. Reading the label is proof! I was very impressed with this. I tend to read the label and try to recreate them myself (instead of purchasing the jar). The zuchini relish is to die for. Thanks Farm Boy!

2007 Feb 4
Hey! I did that too! I recreated the 'Mango and Poppyseed" dressing from Farmboy. It goes great with my baby spinach, nectarine, raspberry, avocado and bluecheese salad. YUM!

2007 Feb 4
Sounds fantastic. I love poppyseed dressings.

Now, where to find good mangos? Besides south of the border.

2007 Feb 4
I like using the small yellow mangos (that you can get in Chinatown and sometimes at the Herb and Spice) instead of the big greeny-red ones that are at the regular supermarkets. They're sweeter and softer so it's not as bad if you get a slightly less ripe one. I also find the greeny-red ones sometimes have kind of a "soapy-detergent" flavour when they're unripe, which the yellow ones don't have.

I've also used frozen mango for the dressing, which works just fine since you're blending up the mangos anyway and don't have to worry about texture. Superstore/Loblaws carries it in bags ("Europe's Best" or something like hat I think).

2007 Feb 7
A friend recently pointed me in the direction of "Produce Depot" (Produce Depot) on Carling. They have a vast selection of fruits & veg...mangoes included.

I discovered the "Ugli Fruit" there (Jamaican tangelos - www.ugli.com). It's a knarly looking yellowish/greenish large citrus that looks like it's caving in. Tasty..like an orange. You peel it and break it apart like an orange as well.

2007 Feb 7
Oh! I love Produce Depot too, and you know what's great about it as well?

It's right beside The Beer Store AND S&G Fries which were voted the best poutine in Ottawa a few years in a row. Their burgers and rings aren't bad either.

Most summer saturday mornings are a ritual for me : Produce Depot, S&G, Beer Store. 3 birds - one stone, ya know?