Help with Dinner Party Main Dish [Recipes]

2007 Jan 31
Looking for something simple that I can prepare ahead of time and cook while guests are having a few drinks. Prefer to use Pork tenderloin, or skinless chicken thighs/drums. Any good secret ones out there....

2007 Jan 31
If you want to cook in advance, I would avoid the pork tenderloin simply because it is likely to dry out if it is cooked to far in advance. If you are really set on using it might I suggest serving it "en croute", that is wrapped in puff pastry or some other type of dough? The dough will seal in the moisture and then all you have to do is throw it in the oven when your guests arrive. i would suggest taking the whole tenderloin or tenderloins, season with salt and pepper, and quickly searing the outside, drain it. Saute some wild mushrooms in butter, drain VERY WELL (you need any fillings to be dry and cold). Place the tenderloin on a sheet of pastry, with some wild mushrooms next to it. Drape some panchetta or procuitto over the tenderloin, and then drape over some fresh sage leaves. Roll it up or just fold over the pastry and seal the edges. Brush the whole thing with egg wash and bake for about 20mins at about 400 degrees. You can then slice off individual portions and sere it a sauce of your choice on the side. You could really use any filling you want for it - no need to use mushrooms if you do not like them. You could also use an apple compote cooked until quite dry - that would be delicious too.

As for the chicken things or drums, these are a good option because they have a higher fat content and will not dry out as easily. I personally like a nice Thai Red Curry with chicken thigh meat - if that sounds good, let me know and I will post my fave recipe for it.

Hope that at least gave you some ideas!

2007 Jan 31
I have two ideas for you - one pork and one chicken. These are both my own creations.

Spicy Asian Pork Tenderloin

1-2 Pork tenderloins or one smallish (2-3 lbs) pork loin roast.

Marinade:
Olive oil (or canola)
Soy sauce (light or low salt)
juice from one orange
grated zest from orange
Honey
rice wine vinegar
chopped garlic
fresh grated ginger
crushed dried red chilies
sesame oil (optional)
chili garlic sauce (optional)

1 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp corn starch

Combine marinade ingredients in a shallow dish large enough to hold tenderloin(s). Add tenderloins and turn to coat in marinade. Marinate in the fridge for a minumum of 2 hours to overnight. Turn every once in a while to marinate evenly.

I didn't include amounts but you can make this as spicy or as sweet as you like. If you need amounts start with 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 soy sauce. Add in 1-2 tbsp honey, 1-2 chopped garlic cloves, 2 tsp chopped ginger, 1-2 tsp rice wine vinegar. Add remaining ingredients to taste.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Remove tenderloins from marinade and reserve the marinade.

Heat 1 Tbsp of oil a frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown tenderoins on all side and transfer to a baking dish. Cover and roast in oven until cooked - consult a meat thermometer or until juices run clear. About 30-40 minutes for tenderloins - longer for pork loin roast. Remove the pork to a cutting board and tent with foil.

Strain the reserved marinade and bring to a boil in small saucepan. Let boil for at least 2 minutes to kill bacteria and thicken marinade. Add any drippings from the baking pan and the cutting board to the marinade. If you want to increase the amount of sauce, add up to 1 cup of chicken stock. If you want a thicker sauce, mix one Tbsp of cornstarch in 1 cup of cold water. Bring sauce to a boil and add cornstarch mixture to the sauce a bit at a time, stirring after each addition. Continue adding cornstarch mixture until reach the desired consistency.

Seve with either basmati rice or garlic mashed potatoes either of which you can make ahead of time and reheat in the microwave.

Mustard Cream Chicken

This one is really quick easy, but can't really be done ahead of time.

12 Boneless, skinless chicken thighs (amount depends on the number of people you are feeding (count on 3 thighs per person)
1-2 Tbsp oil (olive or canola)
1/2 cup White Wine (I prefer an off dry reisling for this recipe)
2-3 Tbsp of Grainy Mustard (Mrs. McGarrigles Hot Whisky Mustard is especially good in this recipe but a grainy dijon works well too)
1/2 - 3/4 cup of Heavy Cream (35%).

Heat a frying pan over medium high heat.
Heat 1 Tbsp of oil.
When oil is hot, add chicken thighs and brown on all sides. Add more oil if necessary.
Turn down heat (medium to medium-low)and continue cooking chicken until done - juices run clear.
Remove chicken from the pan, set aside and keep warm.
Turn up the heat to medium and deglaze the frying pan with the white wine - scraping up the brown bits in the bottom of the pan.
Add grainy mustard and cream. Turn down heat to medium low.
Return the chicken and any juices to the pan and heat through.
Serve with roasted baby potatoes.
Serves 4.

2007 Jan 31
I'd like the recipe for Thai red curry with chicken, please!

2007 Jan 31
This recipe is delicious, I know the corn flakes will probably throw you off but it's a must try.!! I can't take credit for this recipe, this is my mother in laws recipe who is also an amazing cook! I tried these last week but I used pork chops instead, it was also delicious! Enjoy.

Chicken French

6 chicken breasts, cut in half if you like *speeds up the cooking time*
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1-2 tsp tarragon
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups corn flakes, lightly crushed

Preheat oven to 350F.

Melt the butter with the garlic, mix the cornflakes along with the other ingredients. dip the chicken into the butter garlic mixture then coat in the corn flakes, parmesan and tarragon mixture, place in baking dish and cook until done. About 30-35 minutes.

2007 Jan 31
I made Soy Sauce Chicken with Shiitake Mushrooms on Sunday and it was very good. It could easily be made ahead of time if you undercook the chicken slightly then reheat it in the pan (or in the oven) to cook it through.

I pretty much followed this recipe: chinesefood.about.com

The original recipe was for 4 thighs; I made 14 chicken drumsticks and doubled the marinade/sauce recipe. There was more than enough for flavour but I needed to add water a few times while cooking. I used chives instead of green onions and I added a chopped leek with the onion (it needed using up!).

I didn't add extra salt but it was still pretty salty from the soy sauce. If you don't like salty, use low-sodium soy sauce. A hit of chili spice would make this already-great dish even better. We're going to keep this recipe!

2007 Jan 31
I would highly recommend the Chicken Cassoulet recipe that we tried a couple of weeks ago. It is totally simple (you just have to remember to soak the beans the night before), you put it in the oven and you can enjoy drinks with your guests!

CASSOULET
1 cup dried white beans(place in a bowl,add enough water to cover& soak overnight)
2 tbsp olive oil
6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 onion cut into 1/2 inch dice
3 carrots cut into 1/2 inch dice
1 cup rutabaga, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch dice
1 cup fennel bulb, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 celery ribs, 1/2 inch dice
1 medium potato, 1/2 inch dice
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 large sprig fresh rosemary
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
2 whole cloves pressed into a small piece of onion
4 cups chicken stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
Heat olive oil in frying pan on medium heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides - about 10 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a heavy casserole or baking dish.
Using the same frying pan on medium-high heat, sauté onion, carrots, rutabaga, fennel, celery, potato and garlic until onions are soft, 5 - 10 minutes. Add tomato paste, white wine, rosemary thyme, bay leaf and clove-studded onion. Stir together well and pour over chicken. Top up with stock. Drain pre-soaked white beans and add. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover tightly with a lid or aluminium foil and bake in the oven for 2 hours.

BREAD TOPPING
3 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs
2 tbsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 tbsp. butter, melted (or you could use olive oil)

While the dish is in the oven (and even before your guests arrive), make the bread topping. Mix together bread crumbs, parsley and melted butter in a bowl.

After the 2 hours are up, remove the cassoulet from the oven and uncover. Scatter the bread crumb mixture evenly over the top. Return to the oven uncovered and bake until the bread crumbs turn light brown, about 60 minutes.

To serve, ladle into large bowls (we used pasta bowls) Serve with lightly steamed green vegetables (like Swiss Chard or French beans).

Nice French comfort food!

2007 Feb 1
Thanks so much... so many to choose from, now I will have to have a dinner party every weekend!

2007 Feb 1
fosettes:
I like this recipe b/c it's versatile - the sauce is super tasty and you can really use whatever you want with it - mix and match favourite veggies and meats/meat substitute (my boyfriend actually likes it best with tofu puffs even though he's a huge meat guy, but I like it with chicken, even something like grilled salmon would work....). I personally use Maesri Brand curry paste, which is available (in little cans) at 168 Market.

The Sauce:
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh gingerroot (diced)
2 teaspoons minced garlic (diced)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 tablspoon Thai red curry paste (or more if you like it spicy!)
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can unsweetend coconut milk
3 tablespoons tomato purée
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 stalk lemongrass (ends only, woody parts diguarded, cut into a few big peices)
1 stem of thai basil (or reg basil), leaves only (cut into strips, or frisee)
1 1/2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar

In a heavy saucepan sauté gingerroot and garlic in sesame oil until golden (Carefull not to burn!). Add coriander, curry powder, curry paste, paprika, and cumin, and lemongrass and sauté, stirring, 1 minute, or until fragrant. Whisk in coconut milk, tomato purée, soy sauce, and brown sugar and bring just to a boil. Reduce to desired consistancy (I personally like my curries a little thicker so it sticks to my rice, but I know most thai restaurants serve it fairly thin, so reduction isn't really needed for most people). Taste and adjust (more soy, sugar, tomato etc. )

Now your sauce is done, time for the protiens. Sear your protien (chicken, whatever) then throw in the sauce to finish it (for tofu puffs you can just throw them in). Quickly wok-fry your veggies (I like broccoli, red pepper, bok choy, snow peas, mushrooms). Stir your basil into the sauce, remove the lemongrass (so no one mistakenly eats it) and dump in the veggies just before serving (so they don't lose thier crispness). Serve over rice. OR you could just grill a big peice of chicken or salmon and use the sauce to spoon over it, with some veggies and rice on the side or something.

2007 Feb 1
I consider myself to be a pretty adventurous and knowledgeable veggie, but I have to ask because i've never heard of them before...what are tofu puffs??

2007 Feb 1
They are cubes of tofu that have been deepfried until they are puffed and golden. They're very airy on the inside. I get mine in the "tofu fridge" near the fresh produce at 168 Market.

2007 Feb 1
Here's a pic of them in the package. There's lots of different brands.

2007 Feb 2
Thanks for the recipe, HOT! I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Two quick notes on cassoulet:
1- Instead of using olive oil and chicken, I start out by browning some diced pancetta, and then sauté the veg in the resulting fatty goodness. (The only reason I make cassoulet is as an excuse to buy pancetta...)

2- Call me a heretic, but I use canned beans. Quickens up the process quite a bit.

2007 Feb 4
Tofu puffs....is that what you get in many Thai and Chinese dishes?? I think I do know what they are, love them!