Sultan Supermarket [Food/Vendor]

2008 Dec 7
This is a Middle-Eastern food market with butcher, located on Bank and Hunt Club. They share a parking lot with Produce Depot. Great place for reasonably priced fresh meat. Just wish they had pork, but that would be surprising as everything is halal. There is no produce there but they have lots of freezers full of hard-to-find veg and bakery goods. Apart from the usual middle eastern fare, they also have a beautiful section devoted to latin foods (sauces, veg, dulces, frozen tortillas, beans, etc), and indian food (sauces, spices, ghee, veg, beans, dhals, doughs, etc). So if you don't have time to go anywhere else, you'll find exactly what you need there. Avoid the nuts, I've had some bad experiences with them. Otherwise, it's a great place that I visit weekly for my groceries.

2008 Dec 7
Sultan is great! Dont forget to pick up your fresh iranian dates! Soon TNT Supermarktet will be just down the road!! ahhhhhhh

2009 May 20
I too am a fan of the Sultan, buying feta, haloum and other cheeses, olives, pita and other mid east breads, spices, etc, as well as some of the Mexican goods. I have had no problem with buying nuts there (lots of pistachios and almonds). A couple weeks ago they had these interesting looking lamb sausages about the size of my baby finger that I didn't pick up (wasn't going home for a while) and I was back last weekend and there weren't any to be had - pity. I did pick up other goodies including some zacusca, a Romanian spread similar to the ajvar I picked up the previous week (leaving behind the pindur for another visit), and I again bought some delicious Syrian baklawa (pictured) and some maamoul - date-filled biscuits; they were out of the ones I've bought before (whole wheat Al-Batal brand) that have an exquisite spice flavour from "black seed", whatever that may be and instead got Halwani Bros. maamoul, larger buttery biscuits. The maamoul I've bought have all been packaged in single servings making tham great for lunches at school and work and have no preservatives or artificial ingredients. Great with coffee!
Sultan Supermarket, not the biggest mideast store in Ottawa but it's worth a visit if you're nearby just to browse the shelves for interesting foods.

2011 Jul 16
I'll give these guys a try. I was looking for some haloum, but can't seem to find it anywhere. I think Loblaw's used to carry it, but got scared off because of the Geographical Indicator problems brought up with that name.

2011 Jul 16
Sounds good,
but I think maybe the fresh unpackaged baklava might be tastier.
I would say if you have the chance go to Malak pastry or else Brioche on Bank st.

I actually go to Malak more (as they make ice cream there) and everything is made in the store- and they can even add extra nuts to the top of your pastries and they even can top with Ashta cream if you ask.

Brioche is good (except their small cookies,,,was sold some old dry chocolate cookies once..have stayed away from cookies there since,and baba a rhum not so good either)...but Brioche does have some cheap "damaged" baklava already packed for around $3-4..price are much cheaper at Brioche than Malak.

Brioche seems to have a bigger selection than Malak most days- they have these colored dough things that are fried the other store does not have, but Malak does make a sugar free baklava and I think Brioche does not.

Malak does have Maamoul most days-sometimes they have nuts and some have dates. unless the ones with nuts are another name??
Sometimes they package the Maamoul in a folded paper and sometimes they just have them on a tray and put them in a box when you order.

Does Sultan market have middle eastern ice cream?
I am looking to try more middle eastern ice cream. I always go to the same place (as it is near me and good), but really want to see who else makes some.
or is it something that people usually just make at home??

Cedar's grocery is also Middle Eastern and on Bank st and they sell Haloum cheese and also some braided cheese and some cheese that has those black seeds on it- Cumin I think??
I have not tried them yet though.
sometimes they have cheese samples or they used to offer some in the store.
they just moved everything around in their store again...so not sure what they are doing now.