Sesame Tofu Bites [Recipes]

2007 Jan 3
I've made these a couple of times but this time I really took care and they looked so nice (just like the pic of them in the cookbook!), that I had to take a picture. We always eat them with a nice caesar salad. Here's the recipe, if anyone digs tofu and new things to do with it:

1 lb firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp. soft brown sugar
1/3 cup soy sauce

Mix this up in a shallow dish or in a plastic container with a lid, stir in tofu and put in fridge for 2 hours...or more if you want to marinate it for a long time. Drain well. Combine in a bowl about a 1/2 cup sesame seeds, 1 tbsp. cornflour, 2 tbsp. wholemeal plain flour (I just used whole wheat flour and cornmeal). Add the tofu cubes and toss to coat. Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a frying pan (I used veg oil) and cook till golden. Drain on paper towels. Enjoy!

2007 Jan 4
That looks really good. I have never really been a fan of tofu, but a few weeks ago I had this awesome dish of steamed spicy tofu in this Szechwan place in Montreal, and ever since, I have really been into it. Man, I am all hungry now. I am gonna have to try this recipe and tell you how it turns out. Can't wait :)

ps: when I first saw the title of this post "Sesame Tofu Bites", I immediately thought you meant "Seasame Tofu Sucks". I wondered why, and found this great
recipe :)

2007 Jan 5
i was just looking at the recipe. it looks good, but i was wondering if you'd like to try this twist...

instead of marinating the tofu in the mix and completely eliminate the starch dredge; pan fry the garlic and ginger first, then add the tofu (pan fry that till golden brown), then add the cornstarch with a little water, soy sauce and sugar (the sauce). last but not the least, add the sesame seeds a minute or so before removing the dish from the pan.

that's mt 2 pennies, dan :)

2007 Jan 5
Thanx Dan....I'll try that the next time I make them. I always like to hear new ways of making food, especially tofu!

2007 Jan 7
I was right, it was really good. I added a couple dried Szechwan peppers, some star anise, cinnamon and seasme oil to the marinade. and i dredged the tofu bites in corn starch so they were nice and crunchy. they turned out really well :)
terrence