2008 Bon Appetit [Events]

2008 May 8
Who attended this past Tuesday's food show? What were your impressions? Who were your favourite vendors?

It was my second time (the first one was over five years ago) and I was a bit worried that my expectations were too high. Overall, this year's show did not disappoint. Like a child in a candy store, I motored about from food vendor to food vendor tasting the various culinary offerings of our Ottawa restaurants. I was a woman on a mission!

I tried to stuff as much in before my head and stomach had time to kick in and tell me I was full.

Overall impressions: an all-around good night out; good selection of vendors; conveniently placed waste disposals; line-ups not too long; very friendly people manning their booths.

Since I don't drink, I didn't partake in any of the alcoholic selections. I believe my partner only sampled one cocktail during the entire night. All this to say, we did not attend Bon Appetit for the bottomless alcohol. My only feedback for the organizers is to have a selection of non-alcoholic drinks, other than water (which had run out).

My favourite vendor was Sam Jakes Inn. The duck confit poutine was RIDICULOUSLY yummy! They also had a lovely pistachio ice-cream (the mist from the dry ice was a cool effect too). The other memorable vendor was Fat Tuesdays who had a scrumptuous tuna with pepper and seafood jambalaya. Lastly (and perhaps because I was so thirsty with no water bottles left), The Works featured four milkshakes which were so deliciously satisfying -- thirst-wise but also as a dessert to an evening of gluttony.

2008 May 10
There's a good roundup of this event here...
communities.canada.com
Warning: You may be hungry after reading.