Heritage pork [Food/Vendor]

2017 Jul 2
I would like to buy some heritage pork chops and some roasts. Is there a store that sells this? I went to The Piggy Market and they sell pork that is a cross between a heritage breed and a regular pig. I'm looking for 100% heritage. I have bought from vendors at local farmer's markets in the past and have been less than impressed. Also, I want to see what I am buying, so nothing prewrapped in butcher paper, please. So, is there such a retail place? I don't mind driving some distance to get it.

2017 Jul 4
Hi Felinefan, this is Dave, owner of The Piggy Market. It is increasingly difficult to stay with solely heritage pork, as the prices have increased dramatically over the years. It was with a heavy heart that we had to switch to a cross breed, but we were impressed with the flavor we could still get out of it, at a reasonable price. How much pork were you looking for? We can bring one in, if we know that most of the cuts are pre-sold. Please send us an email to discuss, or come by if you're in the area and talk to Mike or Dave. You can also try Muckleston and Brockwell, I think Andrew brings in Upper Canada Heritage Pork every once in a while.

2017 Jul 5
I know a number of farmers who have Large Black pork available including our farm. Most don't sell individual cuts. I can give you one or two names if you like.

If you're buying direct from the farmer and want inspected meat it will be wrapped when you buy it. Once our meat is inspected and packaged by the abattoir we can't open it before delivering it to the customer. We can't legally sell you meat that was not inspected.

2017 Jul 10
Thank you Dave and Hank for responding to my inquiry. Unfortunately, I do not want to buy an entire pig. There are just two of us and it would be too much meat. I will try Muckleston and Brockwell. I did get some Berkshire pork chops from a place called Cumbrae's in Toronto and they were terrific. So different from the supermarket pork.

2017 Jul 10
Have your tried the Ottawa Organic Farmers Market, felinefan? When we were vending there, at least 3 vendors in addition to us offered heritage pork by the cut. I'm sure those three vendors are still there, and it's possible there are more that have joined in the time since we left.

2017 Jul 11
@organicgirl, no I haven't tried there, but I will. Thank you.

2017 Jul 22
Thanks for the mention, Dave.
felinefan, our pork is a heritage breed, large black pig from upper Canada heritage meats. Sometimes are cuts are limited, so definitely give us call and we can put it aside for you.
Thanks
Andrew Muckleston
M&B Butchery: 613-745-2244

mucklestonandbrockwell.com

2017 Jul 22
I have been meaning to post again here and, well, life just got in the way. We have been in to Mucklestone and Brockwell several times now and have purchased both pork and beef. Everything here is top notch including the service. They blew us away with both the quality of the product and their willingness to "go the extra mile". We live in Westboro so they are not exactly next door but they are well worth the trip. Highly recommended.