grain grinder [General]

2017 Jun 26
I am wondering if anyone out there can make some suggestions or recommendations on a decent quality (and won't cost the earth) grain grinder.

I'm looking for a mill that is easy to use and clean, that can mill at least 10 or so pounds of coarse grain into a fine grain at a time without conking out from heat, and it can be hand crank or electric.

I don't need the hopper to hold 10 pounds, but it would be nice to mill one pound after the other without the mill heating up too much. I've used coffee grinders for this in the past, and they usually over heat after 2 pounds.

It's to grind grain for day old chicks, not grain for the household, it will be used indoors, but by many people so sturdy and hard to break is key.

We have a hammer mill here on the farm, but it's a pain to hook up the old Cockshutt and not worth the set up unless we are running about a tonne through it which we'll do for the hogs from time to time, but we only need about 100 pounds of the fine stuff for chicks each year. And that is never at the same time we're milling hog, hence the need for a small mill.

I've checked out what's available at BerryHill, but I was hoping someone out there has some experience with hand mills and can pass on some suggestions or recommendations.