Feedback wanted! I need your opinions/help! [General]

2017 Apr 5
I'm trying to see if there would be interest in a healthy version of a haggis product line.

The recipe is drawn from the first recorded recipe but with some tweaks, some of which are taking some of the offal (for some the awful part) out.

I'm looking to produce not only haggis itself but also a snack bite (bar snack type food) and an individual meal portion size that is the healthy haggis surrounded by traditional clapshot - mashed potatoes and root veg, (the shape would be similar to that of an egg) that would come with a scotch whiskey dipping sauce.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and feedback to any of the contact methods in the pic or get back to me here!

2017 Apr 6
Can you apply to Dragon's Den please?
I really really really want to see this pitched to the Dragons.

2017 Apr 7
We're planning for that in the future but we're looking to ensure there is a customer demand first. :) Does this mean that we can count you as a supporter of the product?

2017 Apr 7
Haggis is one of those foods that people eat reluctantly once a year (around Jan 25) or avoid altogether. And neeps and tatties prepared in the traditional way have all the flavour depth of hot water...

Unfortunately, I would expect that for all the reasons people avoid eating haggis, lack of healthfulness is not likely to be one of them.

2017 Apr 8
There are a few of us who actually enjoy haggis. I like it, but once or twice a year is plenty for me. I'm not sure I would like one made according to the 1430 recipe, much less a "healthy" version of that.

Haggis is a rare indulgence. And when you indulge, you're not thinking about healthy eating. You would basically have to create a market for your product because I don't think it exists.

Sorry to poop on your parade, but I wouldn't go into such a venture without doing some serious market research beforehand.

2017 Apr 8
You can count me as a supporter of watching you try to pitch this to the Dragons.

2017 Apr 8
I know of at least one place in the GTA that has it one the daily menu, and this is a place that has been around for a very long time. McNies Fish and Chips.

2017 Apr 8
Sorry - you're going to pitch healthy haggis and haggis snacks to TV investors? Might make for good TV but I can't see how anyone would put their money behind this idea.

2017 Apr 10
Is it anything like vegan haggis or vegetarian chicken, or vegetarian beef?

I'm always interested in trying stuff without meat.
I do buy Primal Strips and Stonewall's Jerquee-those are hard to find in Ottawa lately.

I've tried vegan shrimp and calamari, and also many of the sausages and some are quite good.
Whole Foods has sampled the meatless sausages and the ones I tried there were really good...

2017 Apr 10
"I know of at least one place in the GTA that has it one the daily menu, and this is a place that has been around for a very long time. McNies Fish and Chips."
The Glen in Stittsville sells it year round. I get it pretty much every time I'm there. That said I don't think there's much of a market for Haggis, and I doubt many who like Haggis (like myself) would actually care enough about a healthy alternative to make this a viable business.

Definitely do some serious market analysis before diving into this.

2017 Apr 11
Thanks for the input so far everyone!

All the points you make are very valid (especially in the aspect of people not eating haggis on a regular basis and the flavour aspects being rather bland). To address these we were thinking to market the product (aside from the whole haggis itself) as a lamb product to try to skirt the adverse connotation haggis has and we're working with some trained chefs to try to make sure the "hot water" flavour (loved that comment btw! So true! :D ) is also addressed.

Do you think that would help?

FYI: here in Ottawa there are at least 4+ restaurants that have haggis as a regular menu item

2017 Apr 11
If you base it on the original recipe which is quite different from modern haggis, then you make it "healthy", then you zing it up and change the flavour, then you stop calling it haggis... Isn't there a point where it stops being haggis?

You could also make it kosher and call it Shmaggis.

2017 Apr 11
"FYI: here in Ottawa there are at least 4+ restaurants that have haggis as a regular menu item"

There are at least eight Swiss Chalets in town, ain't mean it's any good.

2017 Apr 12
I would bet cash that most of those restaurants are pubs, and 'regularly' is every year around Jan 25th. Would also be curious how many patrons who order it are sober.

2017 Apr 12
At least one.
<--

2017 Apr 12
I have always wanted to try it

2017 Apr 15
I'm with you, James. Not only would I be happy to try Haggis, one of these days if I can find the spare time (and spare parts), I think I might make it.

I just read the 1430's recipe, and not only does it sound tasty (I'm a fan of whole animal eating) but I can't see the part that is unhealthy. Finely minced organs, suet, spices, and salt? You can't go wrong.

It's a bit like a Scottish version of Swedish Pult.

Recently, someone gave me some pult their mom made, and a bite of that felt as comforting and warm as getting a hug from grandma. Haggis might be just as good, but maybe like a hug from drunken grandpa.

2017 Apr 29
Well, we're well on our way to production of Scottish bites and we'll be looking to see you (and don't forget to tell your friends to keep an eye out for us) at the local farmer's markets this summer! We've had a lot of interest so far and the convenience of them is really popular!
Thank you everyone so much for all your input and contributions so far! :D

@prettytastyreviews There are vegetarian version that take the basic recipe and use a lot of mushrooms and such as the replacement for the meats. To be honest, I've never had it as I like my haggis full or organy goodness! :D

@squeezebottle You are quite right in the idea that at some point of change it stops being haggis. That's why we have kept it true to the recipe but changed the proportions and made it a combination of the modern and classic versions of haggis itself. This way it is still haggis but better tasting and better for you. As an aside...most people have a preconceived notion of haggis being a bunch of lips and as***oles shoved in a stomach, which to pretty much everyone sounds nasty to eat, and honestly I would agree! That's why we're looking to take the word haggis out of the equation for a better public appeal. After all, escargot sounds fancy but snails....not so much!

@organicgirl...the 1430 recipe is tasty but like the more modern version it is quite unhealthy! Suet is a really, realllly bad fat and a major component of the recipes. Luckily, our background in classic french cooking has provided a trick for adding the same mouth feel and unctuous taste but without the heart stopping side affects! hahaha

2017 Apr 30
using vegetable shortening or coconut would prob be the same or similar.

I do not eat any organ meats-I don't care how good they are, it does not appeal to me.
I grew up in a household that ate organ meats and still never did want any.

I do like Vegepate-but not that much.

If I want something meat like, as for making veggie tacos- you can use TVP, it can taste like meat and many people mix it with meat to make cheaper burgers.

I did try some Haggis flavored crisps/chips- and the funny thing is they were vegan!

2017 May 1
@prettytasyreviews hahaha I know a ton of people that are exactly that too ("organ meats? no thanks!!")
Solid at room temp fats are usually higher saturated than liquid and coconut oil is a liquid but brutal on the sat fat side of things, which is why we lean to grapeseed or canola generally. (I had a heart attack 2 yrs ago and since have been "forced" to learn more than I ever though I would on the topic of fats and salts.) Oddly enough that event was the primary force behind finding ways to eat all the foods I like, and after 30yrs in the food biz there are a lot, but in a healthy way. If you look at our instagram/facebook pgs you can see some of the pics of the food that we're making, all healthy.
I haven't scoped out the vegetarian options too much as of yet (as I do enjoy my inner carnivore) but I do appreciate the tip! I'll certainly look deeper into that down the road. I think I've had the haggis chips you are talking about. I had a laugh too at the vegan organ meat twist!

2017 Oct 19
Huh....

www.ctvnews.ca

2017 Oct 19
Haggis (I suppose minus the sheep lung) has been available here for a while. The Glen has it on their regular menu and lots places carry it around Burns' Day as a special. I'm not sure what could have taken so long.

I took a trip to Scotland this past spring (it's beautiful, you should all go!) and I prefer the haggis here to there. I've had haggis at The Glen, The Royal Oak and a few other pubs plus several options from the Scottish and Irish store. I tried haggis at several of the hotels I stayed at (it's common at breakfast) and a few pubs. My issue is the texture. It's much softer and more pasty in Scotland. I suspect this is a result of the fat used. I think most places here use pork fat, while suet is used in Scotland. It could also be the lung, I have no idea what sort of texture that adds.

We discovered while we were there that vegetarian haggis is actually more popular than regular haggis. So much so that many places offered the vegetarian haggis but not the traditional. We had no idea there was such thing as vegetarian haggis, my wife was pretty excited to try it (she's a pescatarian). I also liked it, the flavour was pretty close, it was just missing that liver flavour. The texture was not like the Scottish haggis nor what you can get around here, it was much drier and more firm.

2017 Oct 20
I thought the distinction in the article was that it's imported haggis from Scotland, as opposed to haggis made in Canada.