Media List Development for Local Catering Company [General]

2016 Jun 7
Hi Ottawa Foodies,

I'm currently a public relations student interning at a local catering company and am in the midst of developing a media list of contacts I could reach out to in the city.

If any of you could suggest some avenues to explore to compile my list, for example:

o Ottawa newspapers
o Ottawa magazines
o Ottawa broadcast (TV and Radio)
o Ottawa-based foodies ONLINE

Or, are a local foodie I could reach out to personally with my public relations work for this catering company, please post in this thread or send me a pm.

Thank you.

2016 Jun 7
Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the question.

2016 Jun 7
He/She wants media contacts for a list she is compiling!

2016 Jun 7
Yes. Got that part.
To do what?

..and if you say 'public relations' youre missing the point.

2016 Jun 7
You want a list of Ottawa newspapers, magazines, TV/radio stations, and websites, and you can't find this on your own?

2016 Jun 8
I know that I'm the last person to say this, but ... be nice.

Hintonburg Foodie is doing some leg work for a catering company. Those interested in helping can contact them, per the last item.

I agree that tv, radio, and newspapers could be easily sourced, but there are dozens of local papers and online interest sites/blogs that would be more difficult to track down.

If nobody contact them with a list to start from, they're going to have to do that work. I'd rather start with a list, myself.

Grade: C. Could have improved with a bit more effort and relevant information.

2016 Jun 8
Obviously, social media is a good way to network. Set up an account on Facebook and more importantly twitter and instagram. Follow the big movers and shakers (capital eats, Warby :), foodieprints ect..) and post some nice photos and I'm sure you'll set up a solid follower base. Also, posting on Ottawa Reddit wouldn't hurt.

2016 Jun 8
Sorry it seems to me that Hintonburg Foodies is more tasked with marketing than PR with the intention to drum up more business for the catering company, preferably at little or no cost.

If you want true PR, another route to go are there are many charities and non-profits around such as Meals on Wheels, Harmony house, Ottawa mission, etc. who would welcome a donation of products for their fundraising events, AGM or volunteer dinners or clients.

You can google and put together a list of newspapers, magazines, TV and Radio and it just requires a bit of work calling asking about who the appropriate contacts are...

First try on google and found a listing for newspapers and link to metro news ... took me all of 1 minute. There are more but it is a good place to start so I cannot help but think the OP was a little lazy.

www.ottawakiosk.com

www.bing.com

2016 Jun 8
Seems like a disconnect between PR and marketing. PR is 'make us look wonderful'. Marketing is 'sell our stuff'. PR can be a part of a marketing strategy/plan, but can also fill other roles like repositioning, damage control, synergy with other partners, etc etc.

The OP states the goal is PR, then seems to ask for media suggestions that are commonplace and typically used for advertising (marketing).

Also seems to confuse 'foodie' with 'food blogger', which the OPoster seems to be herself (and quite good at it from a fast look)

I wasn't being mean with my reply... I genuinely didn't understand what was being asked for.

2016 Jun 8
Perhaps some elucidation from the originator of this conversation would be in order.

2016 Jun 13
My apologies if my initial post was unclear. I'm merely just looking for contact info for those culinary magazines, newspapers, editors, tv & radio shows within the city that may not be as easy to find on google say the Ottawa Citizen.

Regards,

Hintonburg Foodie.

2016 Jun 13
Serious question: Who.... that wants to be contacted and/or is worth contacting... isn't easy to find on the internet?

2016 Jun 14
Hintonburg Foodie - If you want to ingratiate yourself with Ottawa Foodies, I suggest you put the list together yourself, post it here and ask Foodies to chime in, i.e., ask who might be missing, what might be out of date, etc. That's how we adults work together on a professional level outside of school ...