Miss Fresh Meal Kit Delivery [General]

2016 Jan 19
As discussed in either the Healthy Meal Delivery thread or the Chef's Plate thread, I have bought a groupon for a 5 meals of 2 for Miss Fresh meal kit delivery service out of Montreal.

The 5 meals for which I do not have a choice are:
Swedish Meatballs
Roasted Chicken and Romaine
Spaghetti alla vongole
Balsamic Flank steak
Quails in a sweet chili sauce

Box was well insulated with several ice packs but Chef's Plate seems a tad better packed. Meat/protein on 1 side and the other stuff on the other with each meal's ingredients in a bag with a piece of green tape. Chef's Plate has zip lock bags for most things and 1 for each meal so you can open, examin items and close. Once you break Miss Fresh's green tape, it is open and have to find elastic or something else to close.

Ingredients had more delicate items such as mixed lettuce, herbs, etc. Romaine heart had a blemish on the outside leaf's stalk, some herb seems a tad wilted (likely being in the same box as the ice pack), so QA for Miss Fresh does not seem to be as strong as Chef's Plate. Only issues in 3 deliveries of Chef's Plate is the bean sprouts while the herbs and veggies have all been excellent.

Menu card for Miss Fresh is a little more glossy but on a thinner stock. But I do appreciate the nutritional information right on the card as well as on their website.

2016 Jan 19
5 Menu cards plus the welcome card..

Did not consider how much space I need in the fridge for all 5 meals lol

2016 Jan 19
Spaghetti alla vongole.. Dried spaghetti.. Would have been nice if it was noted on the website.

2016 Jan 19
Balsamic Flank steak. Very generous piece of steak at almost 15 ozs.

2016 Jan 19
Quails in a sweet chili sauce.

I was very surprised by 28 oz of quail. The quail seemed to be frozen, not sure if it is due to being close to the ice packs.

Lots of sauces in small quantities so save the hassle of buying a lot of stuff. I had bought a large bottle of fish sauce for pad thai a while back and it is barely used. It had been knocked over several times and since it does not have a proper tight cap, I think I spilt more than I used lol.

2016 Jan 19
Roasted Chicken and Romaine.. Poor Quality control on the romaine heart.

If I had a choice for only 3 meals, probably would not have picked this one.

2016 Jan 19
Swedish Meatballs.

Ended up going for the 5 vs the 3 to get the clam pasta I really wanted so had to take this as well.. Would have gone for IKEA Swedish meatball pack if I had the choice since I would not have to cook lol..

Would have been okay if they mixed the spices and put it in 1 bag to save on waste.

2016 Jan 19
Nice looking packages. Where did you get the Groupon? I don't recall seeing it.

2016 Jan 19
It is under the food for groupon Ottawa. I have not been buying those deal stuff for a long time since I had several expire on me and some places would not even honor for the value paid. Also some business such as aubrey and sweetgrass went under before I got around to using them so those went up in smoke. But this time I bought the groupon and used it 10 mins later to order my delivery.

The groupon is worth it for you are getting the 5 meals for 2 or the 3 meals for 4 but the 3 meals for 2 is the same price as the discounted price of $39 if you get a referral link which give you $30 off. if you want a referral discount to try miss fresh, let me know.

To be honest, I found 5 meals a week a bit too much. I freezed the meat for the swedish meatball today after cooking the Spaghetti alla vongole and consulting my mom and figure out the menu for the next few days. We will be doing the balsamic Flank steak tomorrow, roasted chicken with Romaine or (grilled chicken ceaser) Thurs and the Quail Friday. The meat is in the fridge but the veggies are in the whole foods cooler bag lol.

2016 Jan 19
Cooked the Spaghetti alla vongole. 1st time I cooked clam myself. Have cooked mussels and lobsters and crab before many times (including homard a l'americaine from Julia Child several times for parents anniversary) but only had clams elsewhere including a fantastic clam chowder at Hog Island Oyster in San Francisco and many in Cape Cod.

There was a lot of clams but we ate it all. The recipe called for 1 lb for 2 people but it came with 26 ozs. 8 oz would not have been enough per person since most of the weight are in the shell. Mom had a similar plate to the one pictured and we had about 10 clams left in the pan after the 1st round which we both finished those clams in the 2nd round :D Minor issue was that they told you to put the clams under running water for a minute but there were still some minute sand so really should have soaked the clams for 5 mins I think. Also the recipe called for 2 springs of basil but it came with 2 leaves of basil that was blemished but not complaining since the clams was a very generous portion and it is the star.

Dad still at Montfort hospital and I ordered this with him in mind since he loves seafood. I guess I would have to source the ingredients and cook it for him but I think I would buy 1 lb per person and get fresh linguine. But I would probably add a little pancetta and maybe some red pepper flakes to increase the depth of flavour and maybe an extra splash of wine even though it would take it slightly away from the traditional version.

I think I would order Miss Fresh again from what I have seen so far but might wait until I can choose the meals in Feb since 5 meals is too much and often don't like all 3 of the 3 meal plan under the current scheme. Glad I went for the 5 meals this time since the Spaghetti alla vongole is worth taking the extra Swedish meatballs that I was not thrilled about.

2016 Jan 20
Took Mom to Petit Bill's Bistro for lunch and the sandwich of the day was a steak and caramelized onion open faced sandwich which was great. Since lunch was steak sandwich, we decided to switch it up and do the roasted chicken with grill romaine.

The panko crusted chicken breast was reasonably nice and juicy but the grilled romaine did not do it for us. Considering this was one of our lesser choices that I would have dropped if given a choice, it was a decent and reasonable quick dinner.

I was talking to Dad's doctor at Montfort and she knows Mom and Dad from 2 previous stays in July and Sept respectively and we got onto the fact that Dad had gout and fatty liver and I was talking about meals including high end take home like Red Apron which I have no control over their salt to taste and the meal kits I have been using to get control over what goes into some of their meals. She said it is good that I know the nutritional details of the meals and can try to keep to their restricted diets.

2016 Jan 21
I had issues with fridge space for all 5 meals so Tuesday evening put 3 proteins (froze protein for meatballs) and 1 veggie bag into the fridge and 3 veggies / other ingredients bags went into whole foods cooler bag with 2 gel packs from miss fresh and 1 gel pack from Chef's Plate.

Checked on them last night before going to bed to change the gel packs and found both of the defrosted miss fresh gel packs leaked. It was not an issue when it was frozen but defrosted the gel pack bags had rips or stressed spots which leaked gel. The Chef's Plate one seemed to have been made of a stronger material so that was fine even when defrosted. Since the meal kit bags were opened to examine the ingredients and I was a little lazy to find enough elastic to seal more than 1 bag, some of the gel got into the nappa bag and another bag.

Put a message on miss fresh's facebook to check if the gel packs are non toxic and if I need to treat the nappa and other stuff any special way.

2016 Jan 29
Okay it has been a week on Friday since I cooked it but the balsamic flank steak was a hit with mom but not Dad.

Dad seems to be off steak recently and only ate small amounts on some or turning it down altogether at other times. Thinking it might be difficulty in cutting the steak with steak knife and fork which he might not be used to, I even sliced the steak for him but he would not eat it. Had to find some leftover fish from the Montfort cafetaria from Friday lunch.

Mom really liked the steak. She normally prefer medium but I cooked it somewhere between medium rare to medium since good steak really should be medium rare. The salad was fine although the addition of shredded coleslaw to mixed green was a tad weird. I only used a little bit and ended up tossing the rest of the coleslaw mix out.

The sweet potato was my addition.

2016 Jan 29
Sorry forgot to take a picture of the quail. It was interesting to cook it and try but probably not one I would eat all the time. I have ordered once before at Urban Pear at lunch with my nephew with the sous chef cooking after the food truck started and it was undercooked so not a fair decision on if I like it or not. I will likely order again if I am in the mood and did not need to be proper or polite.. Definitely not a choice for a business dinner or a romatic date since it is fussy to eat.

There were 6 quail in the pack and decent size since whole pack is 28 ozs. Not a good idea for a dinner party since each quail was missing some part. 2 were without both wings, 2 were without 1 wing, 1 was missing the wing tip segment and 1 was missing a leg. With 3 of us for dinner each got 2 quails. Mom and I eat both of our quails but Dad only ate about 3/4 of it, probably due to it is hard to eat and his more conservative nature or trying new things.

Glad I ordered quail but probably would not order again to cook lol..

2016 Jan 29
Did you talk to Miss Fresh about the missing parts? Sounds like either poor quality control or they are buying "seconds", neither of which should be acceptable.

2016 Jan 29
lol Not yet. I cooked this Sat night before taking dad to Sleep clinic at Montfort @ 10pm and this week has been a bit rough. Yesterday going from 7:30am to midnight and was woken up a few times due to Dad's 1st night with CPAP.

2016 Feb 7
Meal selection funationality is here for miss fresh. If you want $30 off email me for a referral.

2016 Feb 11
Looked some more and they now have a Chef's Box where you take their preselected 3 meals for $58.74 ($9.79 per serving) or you can do your own custom box for $11.49 per plate for 3 meals of 2 for $68.94.

The referral link below would give someone $30 off first introductory order or $28.74 for Chef's Box or $39 net for 3x meals of 2 in the custom box ($4.79 or $6.50/serving for initial order)
msfr.sh/Pav

If someone gets the 5 meals of 2 with the current 20% off coupon code GIFT20, it is $44 for 10 servings for $4.40 / serving. You can choose 5 meals for the 5 protein/meat dishes and 3 vegetarian ones and I been told you can double up on a dish by calling them but not 100% sure since I have not tried it myself. If you can, you don't have to choose meals you are not really interested in.

2016 Mar 16
I bought a groupon for 5 meal of 2 for $44 for my sister which need to be used up by end of March. With her being vegetarian and her husband liking mostly chinese and my nephew the foodie still in bed from fractured leg, it did not work before due to lack of meal selection and the first few weeks. Meals selections have been a bit meh and first 2 weeks of March are all retread that did not seem that interesting. But now that some of the new recipes are coming out and there are more balanced selection of older recipes at only 3-4 per week out of 8 recipes of which 3 are vegetarian..

Next week was not perfect but slightly better than last few weeks and she only wanted 2 of the 3 vegetarian meals for herself and my niece the sweet potatoes curry and the beetroot salad with wasabi avocado so she and I ordered 3 meals for my parents: the Beef Bourguignon, Salmon Tikka with Yogourt Sauce and the Maple Syrup smoke pork loin that is slightly too high in sodium but okay if they keep breakfast at oatmeal with fruit and lunch low sodium..

Next week's menu is slightly better with some decent choices but with me away and my sister's cooking skills still at beginners and improving slowly, too much for her to deal with cooking 3 meals for my parents in 1 week. The following weeks early April while possible we do not know the menu till my now or never date this past monday and thought it was too much chance to take. Now that the menu is out for 1st week of April some good choices there.. Shame I am not around for 2 weeks forcing me to make the decision earlier...

Just realized that some of the customer care emails were answered by Marie-Eve Provest and Bernard Provest which must be the sister and brother that started the company..

2016 Mar 23
Okay.. review so far,

1) Beetroot salad with wasabi avocado mayonnaise 2/5
www.missfresh.com
My niece got this meal and cooked it Tuesday night. She liked all the components for it but found it was a bit of a miss due to the quantity of seaweed in the dish. She would probably make it again but without the seaweed.

2) Salmon Tikka with Yogourt Sauce and Naan bread 4 / 5
www.missfresh.com
This was actually fairly tasty and I cooked this for my parents tonight. Dad liked it but Mom was so so on it.. sigh... very different taste profiles.

This came with 12-13 oz of salmon in 2 fillets and 4 small white naan. I did not use the oven as per instruction but used the toaster for those 4 small naan and 2 PC whole wheat naan rounds / flatbread that were in the house. I cut the salmon a bit smaller than they say and the only concern is that the tandoori paste must have a lot of oil in it since I can see the amount of oil in the pan after the salmon was cooked and I barely put 1tsp of oil in to cook the salmon.

2016 Mar 23
3) Beef Bourgonion with mushroom and basmati rice
www.missfresh.com
The beef when I got it on Tuesday had about 2-3 pieces of beef cube turning color already. Plan to cook it tomorrow night and hope the others are still okay. There is 400g of sirloin steak cubes so I can afford to lose 3 pieces.

4) Maple Syrup Ham Cutlets with Golden Apples, Mustard Mash and Green Beans
www.missfresh.com
This came with the pastry dough and sugar mix that is the typically sugar shack dessert pinewheel.
The issues I found is that the nutritional information was not correct. It said on website it was 968 mg sodium which while high is doable for dinner if they have oatmeal with fruit for breakfast and a low sodium meal for lunch.
But I think the person doing the nutrition made a mistake and thought the 660 mg of sodium was for 100 g of pork but it is for 55 g of pork. So 150g of pork is almost 2000 mg of sodium.