Farm Boy Favourites [General]

2015 May 30
I was a reluctant Farm Boy shopper for years until I realized that I just didn't like my local store (Montreal Rd and St Laurent). Visiting other locations has given me a greater appreciation of their offerings. Recent favourites: spicy hummus (way better than the regular), habanero peppers, zucchini, creamy dill chips, and U.S. Blueberries. Any recommendations?

2015 May 30
Their frozen perogies, assuming you like perogies. Also their fresh pre-made hamburger patties.

2015 May 30
I love Farm Boy. I was dismayed by the quality/price of produce at BlahBlah's when I first moved to Canada, but when I discovered Farm Boy my grocery bills dropped and the quality of the food improved.
So my shameful shilling fully disclosed, here are some of my favorites.

Their Salsa. I can eat it by the bucketload. Apart from dipping nachos in it, I save leftovers and freeze it. The defrosted pulp, once drained, makes an excellent base for a much fresher tasting pizza.

Their guacamole. They went through a phase about 6 months ago of sticking kale in *everything*, including guac. I think they are getting over it and although the original mild & spicy versions were always available, it was easy to mistake the kaleified version. The 'originals' are tasty & fresh and have chunks of avocado in them, rather than some of the pureed versions out there.

Their pies, both sweet & savory. Always been impressed even compared to "premium" pies from specialty shops.

Their sausages in the pre packed counter. Being British, I'm picky about sausages. FB's sausages including their English Bangers are as good as I've found anywhere else in Ottawa. As a bonus for the gluten challenged, they use potato starch as a binder instead of wheat crumbs. The "gluten free" label is quite understated - i.e. they don't slap it in bold massive font across the label and double the price for the sake of it.

To be honest I can't think of any of the FB "in house" name brand goods that are duds. I remember a few years back buying salads from the local farmers market, only to find out that they were supplying the salads for FB at the deli counter.

That's the thing about Farm Boy, they actually use a lot of small local producers, and sometimes put it under their own name. There was a Citizen story recently about a local nacho chip producer that Farm Boy uses.

As chains go, Farm Boy is one that I happily support.

Ratty.

2015 May 30
I've gotta agree with Ratty. One location can be awesome and another can be awful. I find the Britannia location to be just terrible. Too small, too crowded, horrible parking. My next closest one is Merivale, however, and I really like that one.

Favorite items: Those damned jubejubes. I know they're the same as other bulk places. I know they're not special. I realize I'm paying more for them. I don't care. I don't understand HOW they do it, but they somehow TASTE different. Maybe it's the plastic bags?

I'm meh on their hummus, but I really like their guac too. Especially with their super thin tortilla chips.

Basically all of their beverages are spot on too. They have this cranberry raspberry lemon one that I like with some soda water.

2015 Jun 1
I really like their salad dressing. The Farm Boy brand apple cider vinaigrette and the blue cheese are my favourites. I'm also a fan of their egg salad, fresh sausages and bakery bagels.

2015 Jun 1
I agree with the pies, the salsa and guac. All fresh and tasty for the price!

I am also a fan on their soups. Not too salty.

I recently discovered the mustards they sell under the FB name. I only tried one to date and it's fabulous with cheeses, pâtés, and sausages: a sweet mustard with champagne. Looking forward to try other ones.

2015 Jun 2
I very much appreciate the fact that most Farm Boy branded products have no preservatives in them.

2015 Jun 3
I like the variety and prices of their organic and specialty meats-Lac Brom duck, organic beef, and stuff like bison. I have had problems with some produce being past it's prime, occasionally downright rotten, this at several different locations.

2015 Jun 4
I'm not usually a fan of Caesar salad but I love the kale Caesar at the salad bar.

2015 Jun 4
I'm so-so on their tortilla chips, but I do really like their potato chips. I also appreciate that you can get a small bag for a reasonable price so you're not forced to buy a huge quantity.

I bought their zucchini relish for the first time recently and I've been impressed with it so far. I also like their chicken salad and, like the chips, appreciate the fact that you can buy a reasonable sized container that's enough for a couple of sandwiches and you don't have to binge eat to avoid having it go bad on you.

The 50% off tags are a welcome sight when I go in to shop. If I find the fresh squeezed orange juice with the 50% off sticker, I'm having a good day.

2015 Jun 19
The pay-by-weight buffets they've recently added are surprisingly good. The meatballs, pulled pork and 'General Tao' are hardly the best i've ever had, but tasty.

2015 Jun 21
I like their no sugar added blueberry pies and it is one of my mom's favourites for commercial stuff if I don't have time to bake one for them.
The tourtiere is pretty decent but with my mom having pancreatic recently , I guess I would not buy any for them for a bit.

Some stores like trainyards location are copying wholefoods hot dinner options but with only 1 selection a day but have tried it it yet.

The guacamole are good too or you can get the guac and salsa combo.

2015 Jun 26
For farm boy the Jujubes,I think it is that they sell a ton of them, so they are very fresh tasting.

I do not buy them anymore because they do not list the ingredients.
I am trying not to eat too many preservatives and food colour.

The Farm Boy pepper jellies,relish,mustards are really good.

Not a fan of the sushi, esp as it sits there overnight at the Bank st store.
And why get expensive Farm Boy sushi when Ten Sushi buffet does take-out cheaper and the sushi is made when you order.

2015 Jun 27
When zipping in for a quick, cheap lunch - sandwiches - chicken salad, egg salad, pulled pork. All better than I'd expect for the price and from a cooler.

When running late but want something tasty on the side - thai soup, greek salad, chicken fried rice.

2015 Jul 12
I regularly buy their salsa, jujubes (regular and sour) and soft shell tortillas. Their tortillas are better than your average grocery store brand.

2015 Jul 12
I agree about the tortillas.

2015 Jul 12
Thumbs up for their tortillas!