Closing time [General]

2014 Jul 15
This is a vent/rant... I'm not going to nameshame a place i like and eat at frequently, but it happened again last night (first time at this place but upteenth time in Ottawa) and it's pissing me off...

The posted hours are til 10pm.

The neon sign on the door is on, it says 'OPEN'.

It's 840pm.

Yes, 840... i am not exaggerating for effect.

And we walk in and are greeted with 'Oh, sorry, the kitchen is closed early because it's been quiet.'.

Yes, the restaurant was empty, but... it was open. The hours say what they say. I assume, perhaps wrongly, that some boss-person has told them that if the place is empty at whatever oclock then close, it's not worth the hydro/pay to stay open... but FFS either change the hours, or just close... lock the door, shut off the sign, go home and watch tv, but skip the fake out for the sake of appearances ... what's the point other than to piss off customers?

And if they've been in business long enough to know this is a Monday night thing, maybe, i dunno, change the posted hours?
(...or add "if we feel like it" after the 10pm)

In the end we 'negotiated' takeout (politely... i don't give waitstaff a hard time for management decisions), it turned out that the kitchen was closed but not closed closed, just hypothetically closed in the mystical sense or something... but the scene left me annoyed. I've stopped going to a few other restaurants that did this multiple times, i'm bummed about lining up another.

2014 Jul 15
Absolutely agree. But think we should name the places even if we love them. Then others are forewarned rather than being caught in the same way. We had the same experience at EVOO which is my current all time fave spot. We called ahead but nobody answered and were turned away when we got there.

2014 Jul 16
I agree with SSG - especially if it is a case of staff turning you away and the owners/mgrs might not be aware.

2014 Jul 17
Fair points... my default is let it pass once. If it happens again i either write the place off or politely contact management and ask whether i should just not bother coming to their establishment on Mondays.

...and yes, i could (and might) call ahead and see if they're open, but the hours say til 10pm. I don't expect table service at 955, or even 930, but at 840n i shouldn't have to.