Seeking help in the (young) food community [Events]

2014 Mar 20
Hi Foodies:

While this isn't totally food related, I hope that it's important enough (and the even is being held at a restaurant!) that you will bear with me.

A dear friend of ours has a severe form of leukemia and needs a matching stem cell donation to survive. There is a worldwide database of 22 million individuals to choose from, and our friend, like many others, can't find a match. There are many stories like this one, but the more people who are willing to offer a swab, the better the odds get for everyone in the same situation.

If you are healthy and between 17 and 35 years old (or can share this with friends or family who fit the criteria-especially men who are the top donor candidates), we ask that you please consider visiting Gezellig at 337 Richmond Road from 9 am -1 pm on Saturday, March 29th for our swab event. A 10-15 minute commitment can tell if you have the markers for a possible donation. The test is effortless and in most cases you will never be called upon to donate, but with every test there is a greater chance that someone else has a shot at surviving this challenge. Even the donation, if you are called upon, is usually no more invasive than donating blood.

If you are not able to make it on March 29th, you can do this swab yourself at home by signing up at www.onematch.ca They will send you a kit by mail. It’s really easy.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any efforts to help.

With many thanks,

Steve Beckta

Beckta, Play and Gezellig

2014 Mar 20
If I was in the right age bracket, I would be there. I will pass it on to my younger friends including my son. Best of luck

2014 Mar 21
Here's the moving back-story and details: www.ottawacitizen.com

2014 Mar 21
Thank you for posting and hosting this event Steve! I'm a bit surprised at 35 years old limit....will have to check into this further.

2014 Mar 21
Thanks for the support and encouragement guys. It means a lot to me. Sadly, they have been pretty explicit about the 35 year old thing. If you are over (like me), you can always donate blood as leukemia patients need lots! Thanks again for everything...

2014 Mar 21
I'll drop by for sure. I'm jusssst under the age cut-off :)

2014 Mar 21
I've passed it along to some younger folks. fingers crossed they find a match.

2014 Mar 22
Great idea, but sadly I aged out of this long ago.

2014 Mar 22
I signed myself up to be tested. Pretty sure I have a few medical issues that eliminate me from the competition, but I've also got three roommates who are healthier than hell.

Fingers crossed.

2014 Mar 22
I'm in the age range and signed up for One-Match a couple of years ago. They send you a swab test by mail and it's an option for people who can't make it in person. It is very easy as Steve mentioned. Good luck with the event and I hope they find a match for your friend.

2014 Mar 22
I've already asked my staff to drop by on the 29th...unfortunately I'm WAY over the age limit!

I certainly applaud your efforts Steven, I wish nothing but the best for your friend Al Carpenter & it's touching that you've gone to such an effort to help not only your friend but the awareness & importance of donating for a common cause...

Friends are family that you pick like flowers; they always add beauty to your life..

It's heartwarming to see that Mr. Carpenter has such a good friend in you..

Steven if there is any way we can help please don't hesitate to call on us..

Terry

2014 Mar 31
Thanks so much for all of the incredible support everyone. The swabathon was a huge success, signing up 207 new possible donors (and over half were from men who are under-represented in the database). I really appreciate everyone's help getting the word out and everyone who came by to donate. If you missed it and are in the 17-35 demographic, please go to onematch.ca and sign up. They will send a kit to your house that you can do yourself. If you are the 1 in 200 match, you could save someone's life with a very simple and safe procedure.

With many thanks,

Steve