Handpresso--anyone tried one? [General]

2013 Oct 6
Handpresso--the portable espresso machine you pump like a bicycle pump to the correct pressure. There is an automobile version in the works too. Looks a lot like my mini bike pump so why didn't I think of that? I'll have to have a look at MEC next time I go in.
www.handpresso.ca

2013 Oct 6
I looked at it briefly, but (at that time) the price tag turned me off. At the time, you were locked into buying the ESE pods, as well. I prefer my coffee fresh-roasted, so that was a turn-off for me.

Have they changed it to allow for people to use their own coffee with it? Or are you still stuck buying the ESE pods? Admittedly, I've not looked at it in over a year.

2013 Oct 7
You can now use your own coffee. I'll stick with my Aeropress because I'm happy enough with it and I don't need to add to my Museum of Abandoned Coffee-Making Implements. I thought the car one was funny and know a few people who'd use it a lot. Not sure where the hot water comes from in that case. :)

2013 Oct 7
I checked it out too, but a lot of bad reviews on amazon. Also read a review by someone comparing it with the Pressi and the Pressi was his choice for the best and most consistent taste.
btw there are 12 V water heater elements available for use in cars!See www.amazon.co.uk

2013 Oct 7
That was more or less my thing, and we've quite a significant collection of manual coffee-makers here as it is a bit of a hobby. That said, the Aeropress consistently makes a good espresso-like cup (and with practice and experimentation you can even get decent crema) and is always what I come back to.

The Pressi doesn't appeal to me because it requires the gas cartridges. I dislike unnecessary fuss and built in on-going costs, but I am big on the idea that good coffee doesn't need to be outlandishly expensive or complicated. ;)

I'm curious, now, though. I wonder if the handpresso would allow me to use my standard 20g of beans per cup? The reusable k-cup certainly doesn't.

2013 Oct 7
Hmmm the ECE pods have <8g per pod - can't find any info re the amount of your own coffee the units would hold. Is that 20 g for 325 ml h20?

I had a look at the auto version and it has a built-in 12 V heater that plugs into a car's power source aka cigarette lighter in the old days. Problem solved! That is pretty cool! omg had another look and it has a built-in compressor so no tire pump. See Very cool! but noisy...
Click on "Watch on YouTube"

2013 Oct 7
Yup -- depending on the bean, 15-20g per 340ml. That is with the Aeropress, though. Using a multi-cup coffee maker, it would average out different across the cups.

I use closer to 15g per 125ml with my Presso (single cup manual espresso maker, now rebranded as ROK).

IIRC, I can only get about 10g packed into my parents' reusable k-cup.