@Tree Pug re hamburger buns [General]

2013 May 1
I keep coming across this recipe for hamburger buns at numerous sites online. I haven't tried them but many others do recommend them. If you like them "high light and squishy" then these might be for you. See what you think...

www.shaboomskitchen.com
- also at www.food.com
and www.kingarthurflour.com

MOOMIE'S BEAUTIFUL BURGER BUNS

This is a special recipe from Moomie, a great friend on King Arthur Flour's "Baking Circle" message board. A bunch of us have tried these, and everyone has gone crazy for these delicious buns. The flavor and texture is out of this world! You'll never buy another plastic bag of squishy buns again!Make these in your bread machine as Moomie does, or by the manual/mixer method as I do. The key to success is to remember that soft rolls require soft dough. It's easy to double---everything can be increased by the same proportions.

Yields 8-10 buns or one 8-1/2x4-1/2 loaf

3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (King Arthur's)
*1/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon dried onion flakes or 1 tsp.onion powder -- optional
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter -- melted
1 egg
1 cup warm water (100-105 deg.)

Manual/Mixer Method: In a mixing bowl, place flour, sugar, yeast, onion flakes or onion powder if used, and salt; mix well with paddle attachment of mixer. Add egg and melted butter; begin mixing on low with paddle attachement. Gradually add water; mix dough until well-combined. If kneading by hand, turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead about 15 minutes or until smooth and elastic (dough should still be quite soft). If kneading by mixer, change to dough hook and knead 3-4 minutes, adding flour or warm water as needed, until dough is soft, smooth and elastic. Place dough into an oiled bowl; cover with plastic wrap and set aside until doubled in size.
Bread Machine Method: Place ingredients into bread machine in the order required by manufacturer. Let the machine run its complete cycle. Turn out onto floured surface and knead by hand 1-2 minutes until dough feels "right".
Divide the dough into 8 or 10 pieces. Moomie says "Slap the dough 4-5 times into bun shape, about 7" in diameter"; or shape into rounds for dinner rolls. Put buns on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and let rise about 30-40 minutes. Bake in 375-degree oven 12-15 minutes or until golden.
For burgers, split buns horizontally, butter cut surfaces and fry in butter in a large skillet.----------------------- For Bread: Keep dough in one piece, shape into a loaf and place into an oiled 9-inch loaf pan. Use a shine-y 9 inch aluminum pan, bake the loaf at 350º for 35 minutes exactly. As soon as it's pulled it from the oven, turn it out onto a wire wrack and brush the entire surface with butter. YUMMY!!!!--------------------- For fabulous mini-buns or dinner rolls: It's our favorite! When I do dinner rolls, I divide the dough into 12 pieces, put it into a greased 9x11 inch pan, bake at 375º for about 15 minutes. They are high light and squishy!!!!

2013 May 9
Got some of these mixing up right now! Can't wait to see how they turn out!

2013 May 10
Made the dough yesterday, using organic flour which tends to be heavier and hard to make light, squishy anything, and even added 1 cup of organic whole wheat flour too. Guess what? We pulled out some beautiful, light and squishy buns from the oven!

If I read the recipe right, it doesn't mention brushing the buns with butter when they come out of the oven, I would REALLY recommend that, as a brushing of butter goes a long way to softening the crust.

It was during this buttering stage that I also remembered that my kids had destroyed my pastry brushes, and trying to spread butter on hot buns with your fingers is very delicate work indeed, lol!

Will totally be using this as our burger bun recipe now. Thanks for posting it, Andy!

2013 May 10
I just remembered that my mother always baked bread and she used to use shortening on the crust after it came out of the oven. Not that butter wouldn't have done, she said she liked the way it worked better. I cannot disagree.

2013 May 10
Yes, I would think any fat or oil would work and help keep the bread soft. I used our homemade salted butter which added a nice taste. I've also brushed loaves with milk, makes it nice too, but I've always used butter for keeping it soft, especially if I botched the loaf and it came out of the oven more like a doorstop than a loaf of bread!

2013 Jun 7
I finally made Moomie's buns for some pulled pork I did this week and they turned out very well indeed. They were soft, thinner than most buns I've used before, a plus for us, and were perfectly sized for us. I made them about 5" round before rising and made 8 buns (about 100 g each). They were excellent for sandwiches the next day as well. I didn't butter the outside of the cooked buns and they don't need it - they have a tender crust. I've no doubt I'll be making these for pulled pork as my go to bun. I added some ground onion to the dough and only used 2 T of sugar as I'm not so fond of a sweet bun for my meats.