Looking for help [Food/Vendor]

2013 Mar 19
Hey all,

I love food. Actually, I love good food.

About to celebrate a birthday and I'm looking for the best spot (preferably close to downtown) that can cater to many different dietary requests (dairy / gluten free), while still showing off what our city has to offer. I have a couple of foodies coming from Montreal. They always try to remind me what is available there. I would love to impress them with something here.

I'm looking for a few suggestions - a couple for dinner and then brunch on a Sunday. Semi-casual attire for dinner.

Thanks!

2013 Mar 19
My picks would be:
- Zen Kitchen (close to downtown) for brunch or dinner
- The Wild Oat bakery/Cafe (the Glebe) for brunch
- Cafe My House (Ottawa South) for brunch or dinner
My family has quite a range of dietary sensitivities and I have always found these three places to be not just viable, but really yummy as well.
Cheers,
Maria

2013 Mar 19
For gluten free go to aperitivo. Its in Kanata, not downtown, but the food is as good as downtown, and is the best all gluten free restro in Ottawa. If you don't want to go to Kanata, I'd suggest Play. We've also had good luck at the Black Cat, and Taylor's Genuine Food and Wine Bar. Regardless of where you go, let them know in advance of your dietary restrictions.

2013 Mar 19
lots of places will try and accommodate most dietary restrictions. also giving them a call ahead of time is very helpful. they can try and prepare something special. Just because it's not on the menu doesn't mean they can't do it.

2013 Mar 20
Seconding Play and Taylor's. Mtl has ample small plates and bistro type places, but those are on par wth some of the best quality wise and different enough in style and menu. Taylor's isn't downtown tho, if that matters. Shore Club is also be worth a thought. Sidedoor has the right look and the right location and the right tacos, not so sure about the gluten issue. Mtl has nothing like Ceylonta, but gluten-free would be a problem there.

Dairy and gluten-free brunch... that's an interesting challenge... I would call ahead to Stoneface Dolly's, Carmen's Veranda and Jak's to discuss. None of these are downtown tho'... i'm afraid your downtown brunch options may be limited to Mtl export Cora's with those qualifiers. There's The Manx, but i'd check about the dairy and gluten thing, and be prepared to wait in line.