Backyard Sugar Makers' Workshop [Events]

2013 Jan 16
Just received this and thought others may be interested. No connection to Fulton's though I do enjoy pancakes & maple syrup...

NEW at Fulton's Pancake House & Sugar Bush for Spring 2013
"Fulton's is running 2 workshops this spring on how to tap your backyard maple tree(s) and turn the sap into maple syrup. For $20 per family which includes one take-home kit for tapping, you can learn the whole process, hands-on.
Join Shirley Fulton-Deugo and Scott Deugo on the opening weekend of the Spring Maple Harvest Season: Sunday February 17 and Family Day Monday, February 18, 12:30 pm - 2 pm. Sign up ahead by calling 613 256-3867 or email info@fultons.ca.
The Fulton family have been on the same 400 acre farm in the maple syrup capital: Lanark County since the 1840's. There are 5 generations of sugar makers, with the 6th generation now learning the art. Learn from the masters and enjoy the delicious bounty year after year from your new hobby."

2013 Jan 17
I was at a lunch with a friend yesterday. He is thinking of moving to Ecuador. We were talking about all kinds of things and the subject of quickly growing trees came up. He wondered if you could grow maple trees there. I immediately knew where he was going with that. I told him that yes, you probably could but that you'd need them to freeze for a while before you could get sap running to make sugar. We laughed and then tried to figure out how much the equipment would cost to freeze the trees.

"You keep thinkin' Sundance. That's what you're good at."

Maybe he could benefit from the information at one of these kinds of things.