Best Black Forest cake? [General]

2012 Nov 22
Looking for a recommendation for where to buy a great Black Forest cake in Ottawa. Any suggestions would be great.

2012 Nov 22
IGA Plus on St- Joseph in Hull. Good quality for money.

2012 Nov 23
Swiss Pastries has a pretty good one.

2012 Nov 23
We've had the Swiss Pastry one as well and it was quite good.

Unless I was married to the idea of the Black Forest Cake, I'd go with a Sacher Torte from Stubbe's instead, personally. Raspberry rather than cherries and you don't get all the whipped cream, but much better IMHO.

2012 Nov 23
Semi-relatedly, the 'White Forest' cake from the swiss bakery at Billing Bridge is evil, wrong, and criminal. All in a totally good way.

Costco has a surprisingly good 'black forest' cake. Not a striking version, but quite good.

2012 Nov 23
Considering how classic that cake is, I'd think any bakery that makes cake should be able to make a good one for you. And, if you order it, you can probably decide if you want the version with Kirsch or without.

As for buying it in a grocery store or at Costco, I'd suggest looking at the ingredients... some of them use "edible oil product" rather than real whipped cream. To me, that's a large part of the difference between a good black forest cake and a not so good one.

2012 Nov 30
I like the one at Swiss Pastry