restaurants that are adopting the two hour rule..... [General]

2012 Jul 3
Not naming any particular locations here - but what is with restaurants that are now adopting this "your reservation is valid for only 2 hours and then your time is up" attitude?
Just me or does this strike anyone else as bad business practice?
Being told that I have to leave my table in 5 minutes does not induce me to come back to any location no matter how good the food is.....
Marc Behiels

2012 Jul 3
I'm guessing this is to discourage people from lingering for hours and hours at their table. Like if they break out a board game or something.

Restaurants typically have multiple seatings per evening, meaning there are multiple parties planned for a particular table. If people linger for too long, then someone else has to wait even though they have a reservation.

My guess is that the 2 hours would not be strictly enforced unless absolutely necessary (e.g. someone is waiting for your table).

2012 Jul 3
It depends how much I'm spending. I'd quite like to see coffee shops institute a rule that stops people from buying a two dollar coffee and then sitting there for two hours on their computer taking advantage of the free wifi, thus preventing those of who do actually want to consume our freshly bought products from sitting down.

2012 Jul 3
Not speaking about coffee shops here - speaking about smaller restaurants where your dropping 250-500$ on a table of four at a dinner where you make a specific reservation.
I understand the seating nightmare as I dealt with it for years, that's just the nature of the beast - and if your a good seating/reservation planner - you plan for those contingencies.

My annoyance is having the bill dropped not having been asked if I want a final drink or such - and then when I question this told that my table is spoken for.

Currently I ignore them and go one with my night - sitting right where I am sitting - and then don't drop another 500$ - nor any tip for that night.

Personally bad for Business - as my meals are usually business related - and the people I take out - have taken exception to this.

Previously it's something I only ever experienced in NY and TO.

Can restaurants in O-Town really afford to annoy people this much?

Marc

2012 Jul 3
I've never experienced this, although sometimes I've taken an early reservation at a very popular place on the condition that we'll be finished by a certain time at which they have other reservations. I have no problem with that.

2012 Jul 3
Well, like I said it would depend on what I was spending. I haven't ever experienced a two hour turnover at a restaurant where I'm spending north of $50 a head, but in that case it would also depend on upon what expectations had been set. Any time I've ever been at a restaurant where there's a turnover time, they have told me in advance when they need the table by and I've accepted the reservation on those terms.

2012 Jul 3
I've not really had this problem, but my preference is to go for a later time (like 8) so it's unlikely that there's another seating after me, but also I won't be the last table in the restaurant. I can definitely see this happening if you have a 5-7 pm reservation at a popular place. Especially smaller restaurants - they need to have a certain amount of turnover to stay profitable! As much as I looooooove going out, I think it's important to remember that margins in the restaurant business are extremely small, and every table counts.

2012 Jul 3
I can't recall running into this in Ottawa before, but a friend wanted us to goto Sushi 168 on Meadowlands/Merivale where the old Rogers used to be.

Right on the menu, it said 2 hour time limit. All you can eat places have been around in Ottawa for a long time... Do people really spend more than two hours eating in a place like this? I understand the need to turn tables though, especially in a AYCE place where there's no further sales save from alcohol.

If you're wondering, decor is nice. The food not so much, the Sushi rice was total mush pretty much glue, completely overcooked as were the dim sum items. The only item worth eating was the bulgogi. Prefer Asian Fusion on Bank St.

2012 Jul 4
@ELEMENTAL, RE: coffee shops.

Just do what I do. Ask them to leave yourself. More often than not, they do. Well, they do for me. Your mileage may vary.

2012 Jul 4
elemental - did you refer to Ottawa as O-Town because Town restaurant seems to be the worst culprit of this offense??

2012 Jul 4
What seems silly to me with such "rules" is that the restaurant usually has a large part of responsibility in how long people take to eat... if I'm spending more time waiting to order and waiting for food than eating, then don't blame me if the meal is too long! I'm always baffled by places were ordering and receiving dessert and coffee adds almost an hour to the meal, especially when the dessert is some kind of already made cake that only needs to be cut and plated.

I do understand the need for knowing when the tables will be free for the next reservation. But there are good ways and bad ways to do that. I'm sure most restaurants simply go with experience of how long diners take on average at their place.

The only time I've actually been told about a time limit, it was done in what I felt was an appropriate way : when I called for a reservation at "Au Pied de Cochon", I was told that they usually give a two hours time slot for reservations... and to just tell them if I thought I would need the table for longer. That seemed reasonable to me. If you know you're likely to have a very long discussion because it's a business meeting, or a friend you rarely see, then you warn them, and they plan the next reservation for later than the default 2 hours.

2012 Jul 5
I had this happen at Backlane when I made an early reservation back in April. I don't consider it an issue, since we know about it going before I made the reservation.

My frustration is with clients that don't honour the time limit. I was in a party in the second seating at a table at the Wellington Gastropub awhile back. We arrived on time (9 pm) and the group at the table refused to leave. They knew that there was a second seating at the table when they reserved and again when they sat down. We ended up waiting half an hour for the other party to leave (they were chatting and had paid) and they could see us waiting. Staff felt badly and brought us an appetizer on the house, even though there wasn't much they could do about the situation.

If it's the restaurant's fault due to slowness of service, that's one thing, but if you're dawdling, it's rude for the people who are waiting for the table.