Daily Dinner Delivery? [General]

2012 Jun 19
Does anyone know of a food delivery service similar to The Red Apron's where they deliver dinner to your house several days a week?

The Red Apron delivers a 2-person dinner (in our case) from Tuesday to Thursday, 3 days a week, for us at a fairly reasonable price. The food is almost always very good and 2-person servings usually give us leftovers for at least 2 more suppers, which is why it ends up being quite reasonably priced.

We do this because I can't regularly cook any more for health reasons and my husband is very bad at cooking and very busy at work.

We are looking for other food services like this in the city, who will deliver to Old Ottawa South. Does anyone know of any? There's nothing wrong with Red Apron, but we thought we might like some variety, and also be prepared if they suddenly go belly-up or something.

Cheers,
Glinda

2012 Jun 19
Have you heard of Scratch Kitchen? (scratchkitchen.com/) Apparently they sell frozen items at the Metro on Bank Street in the Glebe as well as offering delivery service. I was looking into this a few months ago and seem to remember that they are highly rated. They have a very detailed website. I think you can order individual portions as well as "family" size (good for 4 people). Let us know if you give them a try!

2012 Jun 19
Hey, Flexie, Thanks! That sounds like an excellent alternative to the Red Apron.

One thing we'll have to check out, though: Price.

We priced the Red Apron against other "quality" frozen foods at the supermarket(President's Choice Shepherd's Pie, for example, which is "Okay"), and the price difference was amazing--NOT MUCH! Because we weren't eating the whole meal, usually only half, of the Red Apron dinners, the prices weren't all that different, and quite often about the same. It was an eye-opener--and although I'm not sure about it, I think the Red Apron food is generally lower in salt, and certainly additives. (They don't advertise low salt--I sometimes worry about that a bit.)

And the Red Apron provides the full meal, which frozen entrees don't always: you get good vegetables (nicely cooked and flavoured), and on Thursdays you get dessert.

Thanks!

2012 Jun 19
I don't know if they delivers but Farm Boy have the Trio (main and 2 sides) for $9 which could be very decent meals.

www.farmboy.ca

2012 Jun 19
There might be some info of interest to you in this past forum string
Forum - Ready meals - Home delivery

There are also the online/delivery restos that might provide additional options
ottawafoodies.com/tag/84
ottawafoodies.com/tag/121