Wakefield [General]

2012 Apr 6
I'm looking to pick up some unique and tasty snacks in Wakefield. Any suggestions?

2012 Apr 6
If by snacks you mean baked goods, I can recommend the Wakefield Bakery, 813 Chemin Riverside (the main road along the water and this bakery is opposite the end of the line for the Wakefield train...may it live again).
A really good selection of treats (pies, tarts, cookies and more - everything we've tried: A+) and very personable staff.

2012 Apr 8
Pipolinka bakery has some wonderful treats, they also have home made slushy type drinks. For a meal yo i have to try Bistro Rutherford amazing pulled pork!

2012 Apr 14
I made it Wakefield and had a great butter chicken poutine. The hands down snack winner was the sausage roll from the Wakefield Bakery. Best sausage roll ever!

2012 Apr 14
Tree Pug - Thanks so much for the sausage roll heads-up! They're a common item back home in Alberta, or so they used to be, but I never find them here. I'm willing to make a trip out to Wakefield just to pick one up. (Plus, I've been meaning to try this butter chicken poutine I keep hearing about....)

2013 Jul 25
I have been living in Ottawa for about three years now. I have slowly been exploring the area and am still quite impressed about all the little wonderful areas, events, and food that greater Ottawa has to offer. I have only been over to the Quebec side a couple of times, but intend to do some more exploring over there. I am wondering if a trip to Wakefield would be a good family day sometime this summer. My kids are 7, 9, and 14 and pretty much eat anything I can afford. I have seen a few individual reviews and haven't yet down much googling, but I know that this knowledgeable group would have great recommendations and ideas.

Let me know what you all think.

2013 Jul 25
I really like Wakefield, there is good food to be had but my impressions are based on a number of factors combined such as love of outdoors and small towns. If you like outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, swimming, skiing, snow shoeing, etc. There is lots to be had in the area. Food is always associated with such activities as you need to keep your self well watered and fed. The Wakefield Mill is a very nice spot if you don't mind paying the prices. They have a very nice Sunday brunch buffet. Behind the Mill is the MacLaren Cemetery where Lester B. Pearson is buried (I looked this up on Wikipedia). We discovered teh Pipolinka Bakery (you can find a review on this site) which is a real gem and went to the Restaurant Chez Eric which had a really nice vibe.

Must mention the Blacksheep Inn; it a great venue for live music (last time I was there they didn't serve food and people were having takeout pizza, wings, etc. delivered to consume on site, have to arrive early to get a good seat up front ...). Many performers have had their first break here before they moved on to shows at bigger venues, sometimes they have afternoon family oriented shows. This is a place with history.

Before I close to let others add to this entry, I must mention the Boucanerie Chelsea le Resto (Resto of the Chelsea Smokehouse). Actually it is not in Wakefield but is on or off (can't remember) highway 105 in Chelsea which is on the way to Wakefield if you take the old highway rather than the newer divided highway (highway 105). This place is very interesting. I went for dinner a few months ago and loved it so much that I returned a few nigts later to try more of the food with a different group - including my kids who loved the fish and chips. You can find reviews for this place on this site.

Okay, time for other foodies to give their 2 cents ...

2013 Aug 2
+1 for the Wakefield Bakery.

2014 Jan 19
A friend brought me a couple of sausage rolls from the bakery. Still great! Call ahead to check availability and reserve some if you can because they sell out quickly. My pal got lucky with still warm rolls.