Ottawa Beer Roundup [Booze]

2012 Feb 25
Just a quick post, a moment's pause to consider how quickly Ottawa-Gatineau's beer scene is growing up.

-At least four new local breweries (one of them on the cutting edge as far as what's brewed if not quality).
-Four new brewpub locations, with ongoing talk of Chrish Phillip's new venture opening up in the spring.
-The appearance of cask ale at the Arrow & Loon and talk of 2 or 3 hand pumps going in at the Wellington.
-Consistently improving special and brewery releases at the LCBO.
-A specialty beer store in Brouhaha.
-Not a fine-dining restaurant in the city without, at the very least, Beau's Lug-tread on tap.

We have a long way to go before we get to a Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal level, especially in terms of quality and beer bars, but the times they are a changin'!

2012 Feb 28
I agree 100% with your post, the Ottawa area is starting to take notice of the great craft brewing movement. For those of you looking for great local and OCB taps in Ottawa have to check out the Cheshire Cat pub in the westend of Ottawa. They have 14 craft brew taps along with a cask ale pump tap. They have great Ottawa craft brew taps such as Kich Blonde, Kich 1855, Broadhead PA, Ashton Brewing Company Brown and Hogsback. Not to mention other wonderfull OCB taps (Creemore, Beau's, Muskoka, Mill st, Waupoos cider, St. Ambroise, Flying Monkey, Steamwhistle, etc).

If you haven't been you are missing out. My buddies and I head there every week to see what seasonal and guest beers they have on tap.

Also one added bonus to The Cat is that you can enjoy both great Kichesippi products on Mondays for only $5 all in........great deal/great pint

2012 Feb 28
I also noticed that Kichesippi now has 6 packs available at the LCBO.

2012 Feb 29
Agree on the Cheshire Cat. I was there on Monday night with a group of 7 of us. I tried the Broadhead PA and the Ashton product. Basically, if you are a Coors Lite/Ex/Canadian drinker you are out of luck tap wise.

I wasn't aware of the $5 all in price for Kitchissippi products.

The bartender was telling us how they are going to vary keg by keg what is the cask conditioned beer.

When I was there, Beau's was sold out and I think the Hoptical Illusion was...victims of their own success.

They had a great product on tap there in the past...Muskoka Mad Tom IPA. Not sure if it is still there or they have replaced it with another Muskoka product.

The 'Cat' is a nice cosy place...no TV distracting conversation, good food. The only downfall is that they tend to close early.

2012 Mar 1
The Cat has over five rotating taps such as Muskoka tap to allow for seasonal beers to be added. Right now Mad Tom is on tap.

The Cask beers are on a rotation as well to change it up a little and allow different brewers the chance to experiment. I believe it is normally Beau's, Kich, Camerons,and Barley Days

If you have the time or live in the west you have to check out the Old Mill Ashton Pub. The new owner has changed everything about the place. It is an english style pub with good beer and he brews his own in the basement.....I know this sounds wierd but if you taste the beer they make and ask to take the tour of the brewery you will be shocked.

2012 Mar 1
wrt the Ashton Pub: I heard yesterday that the Ashton Pub owner was/is the owner of both Quinn's Ale House and Patty's Pub and he now has his sons running both those places; that would explain any sightings of Ashton Brewery beers at those 2 pubs.