Aleppo pepper [General]

2011 Dec 8
Does anyone know where you can buy Aleppo pepper in Ottawa? I keep coming across recipes that call for it.

2011 Dec 8
I looked for this here and never found it. Bought some at Kalystyan's in NYC, and what distinguishes it is that is quite tangy, with moderate heat. If you can find Maras pepper, they taste almost identical side-by-side--that one is a little milder, also tangy, and an almost salty/umami taste (but I have never seen that one here either--you might try looking at the Mid-East food centre on St-Laurent for one or the other--have never looked there, and they have quite a selection of oddities). If you wanted to substitute a common chile for it, I think that guajillo would be the closest--also has that tang, though less of it.

2011 Dec 9
The one I have in my pantry is from the "Épices de cru" brand. This local store www.williamjwalter.com carries their products, so they're likely to have some (it's called "Piment d'Alep" in French).

2011 Dec 9
Thank you, Isabelle. I didn't know about this store in Aylmer. If they sell Epices de cru, those are the best spices and herbs I know of.

2018 Apr 12
I know it's a few years out of date, however you can find Halaby peppers (old name Aleppo) in most Middle Eastern grocers. I found them in Silk Road Foods, the label is listed as ground Halaby peppers
in the bulk section.

2018 May 4
You can get maras(h) pepper from Damas out on Carling. Have tasted side by side with Aleppo pepper —no difference.