Pickled Eggplant Recipe [General]

2011 Aug 19
I think I am going to take advantage of the cheap market vegetables tomorrow and preserve some eggplant, cauliflower and start fermenting dills.

Anyone have a good pickled eggplant technique/recipe? So far I plan to salt, then steam or boil julienned slices and pack them in jars with mint, chili flakes and a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio of olive oil to white vinegar. Any further input?

2011 Aug 22
Boil? really?

The only kind of eggplant dip I know or have made involves grilling the eggplant in the oven until the outside is charred.
Then add vinegar,garlic,red pepper if desired (you can always add right before eating).

Usually the kind of recipe I see like mine is called "eggplant caviar" or Cedars grocery has one called "Mama Ganouj"
I don't add oil as that is just my preference,I prefer vinegar more.
I think I was using apple cider vinegar the last few times and that turned out good.

I don't have an actual recipe though...

2011 Aug 22
Had a productive weekend filling mason jars and barrels this weekend: fermented dills, tarragon cornishons and jalapenos; vinegar-pickled cauliflower and eggplant. Vegetables are remarkably cheap right now and I was incredibly impressed by the produce available at the market (in this case, Parkdale). The cauliflower and eggplants were as nice as I have ever seen in my life, anywhere, and for $1 each.

PTR: To clarify, I was making pickled slices of eggplant rather than an eggplant dip.

For future reference the technique I went with was as follows: Peel and slice eggplants into 1/4" batonnets. Since the eggplants I was using were of such high quality (not a single visible seed in a football sized eggplant) there was no need to pre-salt them. Therefore, I quickly steamed the slices in a bamboo basket for about 2-3 minutes, then mixed these with liberal sprinklings of dried mint, ground red chili flakes, and dried thyme. Then coated with a few glugs of olive oil, tossed to distribute the herbs evenly and then packed this mixture into jars. I then filled the jars with boiling brine composed of 50% - 4% saltwater and 50% white pickling vinegar, leaving about 1.5cm of space at the top of each jar which I filled with olive oil. Flipped the jars over to cool, all of the seals worked.

Now the wait. I plan to open in perhaps a month or so, I will report back to see how it turned out, I'm cautiously optimistic.