Sanguinella / Blood Orange Gelato [General]

2011 Jun 7
My favorite flavour of gelato is sanguinella (Blood Orange). Would love to know if anyone here has a recommendation where to buy the best sanguinella gelato in Ottawa. I have had great ones in Italy (no surprise) and a horrible and much too sweet one in New York. Checked truffle treasures in Westboro on Sunday and they had a decent tangerine gelato, but no blood orange.

2011 Jun 8
Also a great lover of all things blood orange...my favourite marmalade, among other things. But I would strongly doubt you would find it anywhere in town other than during their season, mid- to late-winter. Even in season, I can't imagine a lot of demand for this flavour, so you might want to investigate making your own.

2011 Jun 8
A friend tells me there is a commercial brand available at the Price chopper in Ogdensburg. I am not holding out a lot of hope for the quality but will check it out.

2011 Jun 9
In Ogdensburg of all places! Let us know how it is.

2011 Jun 9
and yesterday I found sanguinella truffles at Stubbe that were great.

2011 Jun 13
the brand available in Ogdensburg is called "Gelateria Italiano" and it was not great. It was overly sweet for my taste. I'll have to keep looking.