looks can be deceiving [Travel]

2011 Mar 24
Would you go into this restaurant?

I probably wouldn't but after driving 1/2 an hour to get there I'd go in.
This was on Diners drive ins and dives.
Jakes Good Eats just outside of Charlotte. That's another reason I would go in.
On the show they showed everything being made from scratch and the food looked fantastic.

We had fried green tomatoes, that are worth going back for.
Very crispy and tasty.
Cornmeal deep fried oysters, the oysters just heated. Also very good.

Double pork chop with maple and apples, cooked perfectly.

After seeing all the work that went into making the shrimp, crawfish etouffee I had to order that even though I knew it would have some heat to it.
I have to say that it had a little too much heat for me and the flavour of the shrimp and crawfish seemed to get lost in the heat. Maybe crawfish don't have much flavour. (first time trying).

If you're ever in Charlotte the place is worth a visit.

We are first time grandparents (Yea) a beautiful little girl Addison, born in Charlotte.

2011 Mar 26
Timely post solstice. On vacation last week with friends we decided to spend next year's vacation with two or 3 other couples travelling in the north/south Carolina area and maybe Georgia - Charleston and Charlotte would be my choices at this point. I've bookmarked Jakes as a possible eating location. Thanks. And congrats on the granddaughter!

2011 Mar 29
I'm not trying to sell DDD, but another place we tried was Cabo fish taco. (Both places have web sites)
this restaurant was right in Charlotte. My son says it used to be an industrialized area, but is now being revitalized with theaters, stores etc.
We were just there for takeout but the the neighborhood did look interesting. the fish taco's were delicious and the decor is like a bar by the beach (sans beach).
When we left the temp was 80.