Sorghum syrup [General]

2011 Mar 14
Where can I find sorghum syrup? I am told it is sometimes referred to as sorghum molasses. Can I substitute blackstrap molasses? It is for a composed butter to use in soups.

2011 Mar 15
Not blackstrap. IIRC, sorghum syrup is closer to a light or golden molasses. Blackstrap is quite a different beast. ;)

I'd probably use corn syrup or a fancy molasses as a substitute, myself.

2011 Mar 15
update: My third stop today was rainbow foods, and the woman working there advised me that they did not have it, and as you said refashionis, neither barbados nor blackstrap was a good substitute. She suggested tapioca syrup was very close, but they were out of that at the moment, so she suggested agave syrup might be the next closest thing. Since I have that in my pantry, that's what I'm going with.

2011 Mar 15
Lundberg Farms makes a nice rice syrup/sweetener as well -- I've often used it to sweeten baked beans. :)

2011 Mar 15
Just an aside to the sorghum syrup, my daughter brought back a malted sorghum cooked porridge from South Africa.
It takes a while to cook but tasted very good.
It is called Maltabella, went on a South African grocery website out of Toronto and found it there as well.