Seville Oranges for Marmalade [General]

2011 Jan 23
I want to make some marmalade. Is this the time of year I can find Seville oranges?? My mother-in-law made the best homemade marmalade and it is time for me to give it a go.

2011 Jan 24
I'd like to give this a try as well, and if someone knows where to get them/when they are in season, that's great, but if anyone can point me to a great recipe for orange marmalade, I would appreciate it. My last effort was overly sweet and kind of bland.

2011 Jan 24
Only place I have ever seen them in Ottawa is at Herb and Spice on Wellington, and only for a very short period of time in the winter.

Another option: Blood oranges! Am seeing these around town now that their season has begun. Best price and quality (so far) has been at the Produce Depot. Makes for a lovely colour of marmalade.

2011 Jan 24
Terre a Terre sells them at their market stall (Ottawa Organic Farmers Market). I've seen them there the last few weeks. He has the Seville and another kind, the name of which escapes me right now...

2011 Jan 24
seville oranges are in season Jan /Feb.
My Mom bought some at farmboy. She made 3 batches of marmelade with 12 oranges.
She really likes marmelade. (16 jars)

The new food and drink has a recipe that she tried, but felt the boiling of the oranges was too long, as the oranges started to split. She only boiled hers for 15 minutes. Too early to tell if it's a great recipe.

She used Put a Lid on It by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard for the other 2 batches.

I don't make marmelade but I do make jams and jellies. Don't care to use commercial pectins as you have to add too much sugar. I usually use the least amount of sugar called for, sometime cutting back.
Maybe adding a little orange liqueur could give a flavour boost.

good luck
pretty satisfying having a shelf of your own product.

2011 Jan 24
I got Seville oranges last year at the Loblaws on Rideau, along with some blood oranges. I used a recipe from The River Cottage Preserves Handbook, by Pam Corbin and the marmalade was fantastic. I made 14 jars and I am hoarding the last one. The book is at my mother's, as I do my preserving there, but if I get there soon I'll post the recipe for you.

2011 Jan 24
This is just the beginning of when they should appear. I bought mine at Farm Boy last year in early February. Seville oranges are bitter (and higher in pectin) so if you plan to substitute another type of orange (ex. a sweet one), the result, of course, will be quite different.

Two recipes for Seville orange marmalade from very reliable sources:
www.davidlebovitz.com
simplyrecipes.com

2011 Jan 31
Just saw Seville oranges at the Produce Depot on Carling and at the Farm Boy on Bank near Heron.

Farm Boy also had really nice blood oranges (which I bought), and Produce Depot has a bin with oranges marked "blood oranges" but they are in fact the pink Cara Cara oranges, which I did not discover until I got home with about 10 bucks worth of them. Grrrr....

Blood orange marmalade is simmering right now...