Anyone seen laksa paste around town? [General]

2011 Jan 13
I usually make my own curry pastes, but I am running a little short on time for dinner this weekend and wanted to pick up some laksa paste--used for a Malaysian soup. Has anyone seen this around town?

The soup is tasty and easy (esp. if you cheat and use commercial curry paste...).

Thanks!

Mark

2011 Jan 14
I got some at T&T about 2 months ago.

2011 Jan 14
The Asian Home Gourmet brand is actually pretty good.

www.asianhomegourmet.com

They have it for sure at Kowloon and I think I also saw it in mainstream grocery stores as well.

I am assuming you want to make Laksa Lemak, if you are making Laksa Penang, I don't recall seeing a paste for that around here.

2011 Jan 14
Mark-O: would you share a quick description of how to prepare this dish...I only know it by reputation but would love to try an approximation at home.

2011 Jan 15
Found some at T&T--thanks for the help. Not sure of the brand, but it was they only one they had--came in a small-ish glass jar. It was NOT with the other curry pastes--was with some sauces elsewhere in the store.

Laksa is sort of a large factionalized family of hearty SE Asian soups with many regional variations and strongly held opinions about the "right" way to make it. Sort of like chili...

This is the first time I have tried to make it. The back of the bottle calls for mixing the jar of paste, one jar of coconut milk, and two jars of water--then you add whatever meat and veg you want and cook "until done."

My approach was to fry the paste in its own oil for about 5 minutes (probably unnecessary--I think it had already been fried), then add one can of coconut milk about about 3 cups of chicken/duck stock (what I had on hand...) and cook the broth for about 20 minutes. With the proportions mentioned on the jar, it would have been really salty and sour to my taste. Also added a bit of palm sugar (maybe a couple of teaspoons) to round it out. Tasty: Tangy, a nice bit of heat, salty, and a bit fishy (in a good way).

Will add in a bunch of cilantro and Thai basil 10 minutes before serving, and will add some mussels in as the protein.

Will finish with mussels, sweet pickled carrots, bean sprouts, some rice noodles, and some more Thai basil.

2011 Jan 16
Mark, T&T carries it in a pkg like a gravy powder pkg but when you open it, it is separately sealed as a liquid. I have attached a pic. I love this particular brand and used it when i was in the UK. Upon returning to Canada I was happy to find they sell it here too. The company is very helpful if you write them for store locations. Here is their website: www.asianhomegourmet.com

and here are the locations they sell it at in Ottawa:

In Ottawa, there are 3 stores which carry the AHG Singapore Laska Paste:

1. Kowloon Market, 712 Somerset Street West, Ottawa, Ontario, K1R 6P8

2. Tan Phat Market, 4055 Carling Ave., Unit7, Ottawa, Ontario, K2K 2A4

3. T&T Supermarket, 244 Hunt Club Road., Ottawa, Ontario, K1V 1C1

Kind Regards,
Christina

2011 Jan 16
Ah, thanks Christina. Have posted a pic of the jar that I found at T&T--did not see the envelope one.

The soup was a hit, though I forgot to garnish with the bean sprouts and preserved carrots. I will definitely keep this on hand for a quick, hearty, and flexible soup.

I am thinking of adding a bit of peanut butter, too--I think that would be nice (though I am sure that I will offend some Laksa expert out there by that suggestion!).