gnocchi [General]

2011 Jan 4
If the temptation to add eggs to the dough comes your way, resist it.
Proper gnocchi must be light and fluffy.
---Marcella Hazan.

I made some gnocchi for dinner. In some recipes they add eggs and Marcella says not to.
So I split the dough and added egg to 1/2.
The result was that the dough with egg was denser, while the one with flour was lighter and fluffier.
I have to say for myself I liked the dense texture, while others liked the light gnocchi.

I used russet potatoes, but usually use all purpose, which I think bakes better.
I bake the potatoes and when slightly cool, use the large holes on the box grater. Then add flour, salt (egg if using).
Shape, cook in water, lift out (can be held for a couple of hours) then saute with onion, garlic, green beans, tomato.
Or quick freeze place shaped uncooked gnocchi on cookie sheet and put in freezer, once frozen bag it.
To cook put frozen gnocchi in boiling water.

2011 Jan 4
I'm making gnocchi right now! But I'm using the Moosewood's recipe for ricotta gnocchi, so no potatoes!

2011 Jan 4
I wonder if Marcella ever ate Parisienne gnocchi? Probably not. The gnocchi recipe I make most often (sans patates) has 5 or 6 eggs in it and is loved by my wife and me too. I was planning on making it for lunch today for her fellow quilters who are working here on a quilt for our dd and her dh but she said maybe corn chowder would be easier (not really, but I think she knew there would be no leftovers and that just wouldn't be right) so it was corn chowder for the ladies. Now, of course, I'm wanting some gnocchi...
Anyways, Parisienne gnocchi is the smoothest, softest, richest, lightest of gnocchi. On guard! ...dueling gnocchi...

2011 Jan 5
How did your gnocchi turn out FD? I have not made the ravioli nudi, but may try sometime this year.
Andy is your gnocchi flour and eggs? I would love to try to make it if you are willing to share the recipe.
I have also been trying to make spatzla (sp?) but have only ended up with a gloopy mess.

Marcella is quoted because I find her cookbook funny. You could just imagine being in the kitchen with her. I'm afraid I'd be the one not resisting temptation.

2011 Jan 5
I like to use a ricer for the baked potato and find it works well with russet, idaho or yukon gold potatoes. The addition of eggs changes the texture but choose depending on the sauce or the side. I find like pie dough gnocchi are best made on a low barometric pressure day.

2011 Jan 5
Here's the recipe, solstice. I was thinking of trying a new cheese for this until my dw dashed my hopes wanting the chowder. I bought some Kashkaval (a sheep's milk cheese) from Sultan's mideast store to try and wondered if it might make a good cheese sauce.

The recipe is from "The Harrowsmith Pasta Cookbook", and was contributed by D.S.C. Greco.

Parisienne Gnocchi

2 Cups milk
4 1/2 Tbs butter
some salt (1/2 to 1 tsp)
nutmeg (freshly grated)
1 1/3 cups flour
5 or 6 eggs
6 Tbs Parmesan cheese

Mornay Sauce
2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs flour
2 cups milk
salt
nutmeg

3/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese

1 Tbs melted butter
4 Tbs Parmesan

To prepare gnocchi, bring milk, butter, salt and nutmeg to a boil in a large pan. Pour flour in all at once, and cook mixture, stirring constantly, until it leaves the sides of the pan. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add eggs one at a time, beating vigorously (Andy: I use a Kitchenaid mixer with the regular beater to do this, fairly gently on #2; it's easier than a wooden spoon, but certainly not a necessity), then add Parmesan cheese. Cool.

To prepare Mornay Sauce, melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour, then milk, salt and nutmeg. Remove from heat and stir in Gruyere cheese.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

When gnocchi is cool enough to work comfortably with by hand, fill a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip, or a plastic bag (freezer-weight) with a corner cut off (about 1/4"), and pipe dough out, cutting it off at 1-inch lengths with a sharp paring knife so that the dough falls into a large pot of boiling salted water. Remove gnocchi from water with a slotted spoon as they rise to the surface. Pour a thin layer of Mornay sauce into a casserole dish, add the gnocchi as they cook, and cover all the gnocchi with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with melted butter and Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 400F for ~15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
Serves 4 to 6.
Andy’s notes: Gnocchi: I use as much as 1 1/2 cups flour, and 5 large eggs.
:Mornay sauce: I sometimes use old cheddar in place of the Gruyere. Try other cheeses for different flavours.
Hope you enjoy this; it really is faster and easier to make than the potato version.

I remember posting a picture of this gnocchi (summer before last?) in the what I ate last thread started by obi - I added some fresh picked chanterelles fried in the sauce butter if I remember right.

**PS:** are you using a spaetzle paddle or press to make your spaetzle?

2011 Jan 5
The gnocchi went very well. I was going to post some photos I took of the initial steps but forgot to take photos of the final product so I don't think they'd be much help. If you know the recipe I used, my only advice is not to simmer the gnocchi for as long as in the recipe (10 minutes) because they got a bit overcooked. The best part is broiling them in melted butter and parmigiano-reggiano right before serving! It forms a very tasty crispy outer layer.

2011 Jan 9
Uh, that recipe was for you solstice - sorry, I don't know how I got poutine in there.

I got the gnocchi made tonight with the kashkaval cheese, a very tasty & good cheese to use here. It made for an upscale version of what is in essence a macaroni and cheese with those delightful gnocchi pillows subbing for the macaroni. The cheese is a tasty sheep's milk cheese - if you like sheep cheese this is a bargain @ <$25/kg and likely helpful to some poor Bulgarians who made this eye-opener.

The pic is tonights dinner with some pureed beets with ground coriander on the side. Yums all around. I completely forgot to cook the 'lil dumpling (or maybe it's 'lil darlin'?) squash I had also intended to serve. Duh!

Doh!: Correction to a comment I added to the recipe above: I used to use a dough hook to mix the dough in the KA but no longer do, using the regular beater for better mixing of the dough.

2011 Jan 9
Andy, I corrected your recipe posting to reflect both the changes you mentioned. Thanks for sharing it! :-)

2011 Jan 10
Thanks for your help, Fresh Foodie - much appreciated.

2011 Jan 10
thanks for the recipe Andy. I have copied it out and placed it in my gnocchi file. I went back to your old posting and found your picture. It does look yummi. We've been eating gnocchi, left over gnocchi, ravioli, left over ravioli and are pasta'd out for a bit. Will let you know how it turns out when I try it.

speaking of dough hooks, as you are a bread maker also wondered if you saw my picture of bread dough spoon in the gadget forum. It works really well when you first start mixing, before you get your hands in.

2011 Jan 10
You're welcome, solstice. If you do try it you may like it, may not. Perhaps you could look around the web for other versions of the rec. to see if there's something more interesting.
I have never heard of a bread spoon - strange looking thing, isn't it? I can see it's usefulness. However I'll stick with my wooden spoons for large amounts of dough and don't mind and actually like using my fingers to start mixing smaller amounts.
And Chimi ruined the spurtle for me!