George's Meat Shop / Orleans Rambling [General]

2010 Nov 1
So, this is my first post here after lurking for a while. I live in Orleans, which many of you will know is a bit of a black hole when it come to fine foods. Restaurants are always jam packed, even in the middle of the week, and even if you can find a place to sit, you're stuck with a choice of Kelsey's/Montana's/etc...

There are a few nice places to shop for food though. We have a nice Farm Boy of course. There is the Cheddar etc... and Cuisine & Passion, both of which I like, though I do sense a bit of attitude at Cuisine & Passion. That said, I am looking forward to the "George's Meat Shop" that finally appears to be on the verge of opening on Innes Road, three years after the sign went up. I understand there is a location in Vanier. Does anyone have any experience with this place, good or bad?

Anyone want to rant on Orleans with me?

2010 Nov 2
I'm also out in Orleans and noticed the new sign up at George's Meat Shop this week. I'm hoping that it will save me a few trips downtown to get certain ingredients (depending on their selection and prices, obviously).

Also, to supplement your list of stores, there's also Lavergne Western Beef on Navan Rd, and Chilly Chiles in Navan itself. Both are worth a visit.

2010 Nov 5
I've never heard of Lavergne, so I'll need to check it out. Is it a walk-in butcher? Do they do anything else other than beef?

2010 Nov 5
I'd like some info on Lavergne too.

Orleans (far east Trim) resident myself, doing my best not to drive across town to buy my goods. Where on Innes is Geroge's Meat Shop supposedly popping up?

2010 Nov 5
Yes, Lavergne sells stuff other than beef. I have bought sausage, whole chickens, and pork from them and have been satisfied with all of it. It does get jam packed on weekends (look for the tickets on the left as you walk in and take one right away when you walk in to avoid waiting).

As for George's Meat Shop, it has popped up on the north side of Innes between the BMR and the new movie theatre (or west of Belcourt and east of Orleans Blvd).

2011 Jun 4
bumping an old thread.

Is George's ever going to open? They look so close yet it never seems to happen. Do they have a opening date set?

2011 Jun 17
17th of June now and they've had their shelves stocked for weeks and no sign they are going to open. One has to wonder that if they are this slow to even open their doors, can they possibly run an efficient and quality business?

Continuing the Orleans ramblings, I've eaten at both the new Moxies and East Sides up on Innes during the past week.

Moxies - Food was good, but didn't blow me away. We had the bruschetta to start. I wish they would cut through the bread fully and not the partial cut they do as it's very awkward to cut it yourself with the space they give you, the not-so-sharp knife and the consistency of the bread. Once in your mouth, it was tasty. I had the herbed chicken which was fine, but nothing terribly special. It was a little sloppy on the plate, but tasted fine. The sticky toffee pudding was very tasty, though I initiated a whole production when I asked for no almonds with it. I have a mild allergy and told the server that it wasn't a big deal, but she still had the manager speak to me before she placed the order and again the manager had to deliver my nut-free dessert. This isn't a slight on them for being so careful, I just found it funny. Myself and the wife had a bill of just over $100.00. One drink each, a shared starter, entrees and desserts.

East Side - Everyone's eaten here, but I just wanted to say that despite it busy on the second night of operation yesterday, they managed to stay organized, even if it needed a bit more management intervention that you would usually see. Interesting in that they have a take-out window with a seperate entrance, similar to how St Hubert's does it.

Finally, has anyone heard the rumours of The Keg opening in Orleans? I've heard a few suggestions that they are working on it right now in the same area as East Side's.

2011 Jun 18
So yeah, I drive by tonight at around 8 and there is a small "NOW OPEN" sign in the window of George's Meat Shop. Clearly they weren't actually open tonight, but I didn't get close enough to see what the hours were.

2011 Jun 20
I drive school bus in Orleans and have been waiting for Georges meats to open and they finally have - drove by this morning (20 June) and the sign in the window said NOW OPEN

2011 Jun 20
I was just at the store - shelves are pretty bare - more stock coming

2011 Jun 22
Not Open Yet. I stopped in for a sales call today, I own Major Craig's chutney and I sell other local/Ontario Specialty Foods. I meet with the Manager Joseph Thursday and will update this post with a opening date.

2011 Jun 23
Interesting that some folks say it is open (as does the sign in front) but Chutney Guy says not yet.

I'm going to try to visit this afternoon. Will report back here with findings.

2011 Jun 23
Also, anyone heard of the Keg rumour for Orleans?

2011 Jun 23
I was back again today and they DID OPEN TODAY. YAY, looks like a good shop and they are friendly.

2011 Jun 23
Wow... this is a long time coming! correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember seeing the "future site of george's meat shop" it seems like more than 5 years ago on the old school that was on that site.

2011 Jun 25
They are open....finally. Still adding stuff to the inventory. Wide selection of some hard to find things. Prices are reasonable for the most part. It is worth a stop by if you're in the area. George and Joe are both very likeable chaps, and will help you out if they can. Still can't find my curry Ketchup, but that's okay :-)

2011 Jun 27
I paid a visit to Georges on Friday evening. No one was in there other than me and a lady running the cash. I realize they are still getting up and running, but frankly, I wasn't impressed.

They have a produce section that featured veggies mostly in poor condition. The meat counter was sparse (didn't see any pork at all), and all of the "grocery" was ethnic middle eastern items. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Lebanese food, but do we really need another middle eastern grocer? Do these grocers not realize they limit their customer base by focusing on ethnic food, especially when there are numerous shops in the area already selling the same things. With all the space they have, why not focus on international food from all over? Or maybe high end specialty foods?

I was speaking to my neighbor about this shop (he's big into BBQ, grilling and smoking) and he visited on Saturday. He later said he won't return as he feels it is geared toward ethic middle eastern tastes and not average Canadian tastes.

2011 Jul 10
I've gone in as well (about 2 weeks ago) and was not impressed, but I do plan to go back and see if they get things going a little better in a month or two.

The "fresh" veggies were in poor condition, there wasn't a lot of meat available, but quite a few rows of non perishable Lebanese and other similar food.

The bakery area looked like it had promise, but not quite there yet.

The atmosphere and product gave the impression of strapped for cash. I'm not ruling them out yet.

EDIT to comment on previous post

"....as he feels it is geared toward ethic middle eastern tastes and not average Canadian tastes..."

Isn't regional what we need more of in Orleans? I'm as "Canadian white guy" as it gets for some of my tastes, but I do love food from all over the world and always want to try new things, it's slim picking in Orleans. There are tons of "Average Canadian tastes" food available here already, no?