mmmmm Lidia's pork chops [Recipes]

2007 Feb 13
The hubby asked for breaded pork chops for dinner on Sunday (he was working or else he would have been cooking with me - don't worry!). Not satisfied with just plain breaded pork chops (which can be fabulous), I turned to Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich. The book was a gift from his parents and it had been over a year and we haven't cracked the cover! We are glad we did. Here is the recipe, with apologies to any vegetarians out there. (maybe it would work with tofu?) I have added my own editorial in italics- hope that doesn’t drive anyone crazy.

Pork Chops Capricciosa
For the Pork Chops
2 loin pork chops, from the rib end of the loin, each about 8 ounces and 3/4 inch thick (we had these ridiculous pork chops custom cut about 1 1/4 thick from Saslov's in the market)
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour (we used whole grain soft)
1 cup fine, dry bread crumbs (it might be about 1/2 cup more than you need)
1 large egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 TBSP olive oil

For the Salad
4 cups arugula, washed and dried. (we used organic baby arugula)
1 ripe beefsteak tomato (better in the summer, we used small cherry tomatoes which were delicious and ridiculously expensive)
1/2 small red onion sliced thin (about 1 cup) (this goes on the salad raw, so adjust to your taste)
4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 2/3 cup) (We would recommend the Buffalo mozzarella or, if they are out, the Canadian mozzarella both from La Bottega)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 TBSP red-wine vinegar, or to taste
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Makes 2 servings - (large ones) and can be easily doubled.

She suggests that you French the pork chops, but our chops didn't have enough bone to do that, so I skipped that step.

Place the chops between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound the meat with the smooth side of a meat mallet to a thickness of about 1/3 inch. If the chops are not thinning out, switch to the toothed side of the mallet for a few strokes, then back to the smooth side. Season the chops lightly with salt and pepper.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spread out the flour and bread crumbs on two separate plates or sheets of wax paper. Beat the egg in a wide, shallow bowl until thoroughly blended. Dredge the chops in flour to coat them lightly and tap off any excess flour. Dip in the beaten egg and hold them over the bowl, letting the excess egg drip back into the bowl. Move the chops to the bread crumbs and turn to coat completely, patting them gently to make sure the bread crumbs adhere.

Heat the vegetable oil and 2 tbsp olive oil in a wide, heavy skillet over medium heat until a corner of one of the coated chops gives off a lively sizzle when dipped in the oil. Lay the chops in the oil and fry, turning once, until golden on both sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet and back until no trace of pink remains near the bone, about 6 minutes. (our monster chops took about 25 minutes)

Meanwhile prepare the salad: Toss the arugula, tomato, onion and the mozzarella together with ¼ cup olive oil (We used about ½ of that) until the vegetables are coated. Add vinegar, and salt and pepper to tasted, and toss well.

Remove the chops from the oven (we let them rest for about 5 minutes). If they look a little oily drain them briefly on paper towels. (Ours didn’t need that). Arrange one chop in the centre of each plate and mound half the salad over each chop. Serve immediately.

We served them with those little yellow squashes (the ones that look like tops) cut in half and lightly sautéed in a touch of olive oil with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Served also with Jerome Quiot, Cotes du Rhone Villages, Saint Gervais 2004. Delicious!