Taste of WInterlude Recommendations [Events]

2007 Jan 22
Week long viewer...first time poster. Hi y'all.

I'm seeking advise for priority visits during the Taste of Winterlude prix fixe weeks. This is my first winter in Ottawa and I'd like to take this opportunity to check out some restaurants that might be otherwise out of my price range.

www.canadascapital.gc.ca

Thanks!

2007 Jan 22
If you're willing to schlep out to Kanata, Perspectives is great. It's very pricey, but worth the trip.

For a more economical option, I've honestly LOVED Maxwell's. It's not even pricey to begin with but it's just a lovely place.

Those are the only two I've actually tried on the list, but I've heard intriguing things about Kinki (would love to check it out) and mixed reviews on the Empire Grill.

Happy munching! :)

2007 Jan 23
Two of my favourites on that list, where I have had consistently good meals are: Santé and Savana Café. I just realised that these are both Asian/Caribbean fusion restaurants (I guess that shows what type of cuisine I like!!)

Savana Café is a more casual, funky type atmosphere, whereas Santé is slightly more upscale. You can see Santé's prix-fixe menu by going onto their web site.

Merlot is another excellent choice. We went for our anniversary two years ago and were blown away by the food and of course the view (it's the revolving restaurant on top of the Mariott). The service was extremely personable and professional.

Happy restauranting!

2007 Jan 23
Ottawa officially has it's own version of Winterlicious? Fantastic, I've been missing it ever since I moved away from home. And being an aspiring foodie living on a student's budget always is a factor.

Of the ones that have their Winterlude menus posted my top 3 wishlist is as follows:

- Capital Dining Room
- Merlot Roof Top Grill
- Courtyard Restaurant

The philosophy of Winterlicious type events is to get people who wouldn't normally frequent the restaurants (be it for price or otherwise) to come and taste their wares and entice them to come back. Nothing is supposed to change, from a regular menu, you should still expect the same portions/presentation/service as on any other day. That is the philosophy, I'll have to wait and see if they stay true to that.

2007 Jan 27
Thanks for the suggestions. So far we've made it to The Courtyard, but I hope to try at least one more of all the recommendations prior to Feb 1.