radicchio
red Onion
little oranges
celery
brocolli
garlic
ginger
sesame seeds

Those are the only fresh ingredients I have. I also have a variety of oils and vinegars and spices for the dressing.

I want it to complement some Asian food I'm cooking tomorrow. Specifically Kal Bi and White rice with Finadene sauce.

2006 Dec 16
Hmmm... if you can find an apple somewhere, you could make the great salad dressing they serve at Japanese Village restaurants.

Ingredients
* 1 Apple, peeled and chopped
* 3/4 c Vegetable oil
* 2/3 c Japanese rice vinegar
* 2/3 c Japanese soy sauce
* 1 Small clove garlic, minced
* 1/2 ts Mustard (prepared)
* Pinch of salt
* Pinch of white pepper

Directions
1. Mix apple and oil in blender. Pour into a separate dish.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in blender, then add apple mixture.
3. Blend until thoroughly mixed.

Makes 600 mL. Stores well refrigerated for a few weeks.

Source: Japanese Village restaurant through the Ottawa Citizen newspaper.

2006 Dec 16
Nice.

I have a jar of unsweetend applesauce?? And I do have the rest of those ingredients. Well not the "Japanese" part but I do have soy sauce and rice vinegar.

What about the salad? Any ideas which of those ingredients go together, with or without that dressing?

Thanks!

2006 Dec 16
You know, you probably *could* get away with using applesauce instead of an apple. I'd use about 1/3 cup (no more than 1/2 cup) of applesauce if I were replacing an apple in this recipe.

As for the salad, just use what you like. This would be my list:

snow peas
romaine
radicchio
red Onion
brocolli

These would all work famously with the JV dressing. And sprinkle some sesame seeds as garnish, just because. :-)

2006 Dec 16
Awesome.

Now my meal is complete!

First time making asian food...meat is sitting in the marinade right now.

I'm so excited.

2006 Dec 16
Great.. let us know how it turns out! I've never even tried Kal Bi, or Finadene sauce for that matter. So much food, so few meals per day. ;-)

2006 Dec 16
I got the recipes from someone on another forum, they cook alot of Asian, and I think it's pretty authentic, as I have been watching their posts.

Kal Bi is Korean, beef marinated in shoyu, sugar, wine, ginger, garlic and other things..Ribs or strips on skewers done on a grill.

Finadine is from Guam, a basic lemon/shoyu onion sauce to top the hot white rice.

If you don't hear further from me, it bombed...haha. I am taking pics though.

Can I post pics in the forum? If so, how?

2006 Dec 17
Yes, you can posts pics here via the "Include a picture" section of the forum posting form... :-)