Caribbean "Doubles" [General]

2008 May 18
My son just came back from Trinidad & Tobago and is looking for somewhere in Ottawa area that makes good "doubles". I checked out some websites but didn't see that listed on any menues. Any suggestions welcome!

2008 May 19
I know you mentioned checking a few websites, but my suggestion would be to go through the Caribbean tag listings and call the restos up directly.

ottawafoodies.com/tag/42

If you're really hard up - I did find a great site with a recipe and step-by-step photo instructions on how to make your own.

www.trinigourmet.com

2008 May 20
Tx Monty--did that and it sounds like the best spot for us to check out is "Island Jerk" on bank st. s. Will keep you posted. btw--Island Jerk doesn't have a web site and when I called were friendly but we still have to go in and see whats available. Since we live in West Carleton might be a bit before we get there. According to Wikipedia doubles are common in T&T but not elsewhere in the Carribean.

2008 May 31
WC, alas, Ottawa's options are limited, but next time your son is off to Toronto, you might want to refer him to this recent Chowhound thread: www.chowhound.com

2015 Aug 10
This thread is pretty old. Anyone know of a shop that serve doubles here now?

2015 Aug 11
Try Bananas in Orleans. Last time I was there the doubles were pretty good.

2015 Aug 11
I make my own since there hasn't been a place that makes them well since the place in bells corners closed down...but I'm going to give bananas a try.

2015 Aug 11
My wife and I went to Bananas specifically for the doubles-and they didn't have any. We were abit pissed. .. . . .

2015 Aug 12
Thanks! Double mission will happen this weekend.

2015 Aug 13
So this is a bread like "sandwich" is Naan bread even close to this?

I would just be tempted to get a Naan from a Indian restaurant and then some chickpea dish and take the "lazy" was and just make the doubles from that..haha.

I do like cooking,but this is not really on my list of stuff to try making soon.

-made some radish and beet greens chips,they were good. Then maybe quite a few people would not like those....

2015 Aug 17
Not even remotely the same as naan with some chickpea dish.

2015 Aug 17
Thanks,
it is just the description made is sound a lot like that.

I guess I will have to try and find someplace to try this item.

2015 Aug 23
Two Six {ate} was serving doubles at the Arboretum Festival last night. Looked delicious. (They also had sausage empanadas and pork wontons).