Is it at all dangerous to stuff a duck breast too early? [General]

2008 May 17
Well, I am asking lots of questions these days as I prepare for a big meal on Sunday night.

My main course will be a duckbreast that is butterflied, stuffed with smoked duck breast,cheese and basil and then roll up and cook.

I always like to do as much as I can ahead of time. As its duck, it seems to me I could have the duck breast fully prepared for cooking 10 hours ahead of time, place back in the fridge and really would nothing to worry about. I seem to recall warning about stuffing turkeys too early, but as duck meat is red, I don't think its an issue.

What do others think.

BTW, I am going to the Carp market tomorrow morning and really looking forward to it!

Cheers

2008 May 17
It could be dangerous if you try it while he's still alive :-)

2008 May 17
My non-expert opinion is that a 10 hour lead time on the stuffing should be fine. The stuffing ingredients are all pre-cooked so your situation is quite different from a turkey stuffing containing raw sausage meat. And of course (as you touched upon) duck is often served rare whereas turkey is not.

So yes, it's dangerous to stuff a duck breast too early, but 10 hours probably isn't too early. ;-)

2008 May 17
Zymurgist, that's the same thing that popped into my head when I read the topic title!

2008 May 17
heeheehee.... I will make sure that duck is dead!

Thanks for confirming me views.....

Many, many, many years ago I had an issue of food poisoning in some chicken breasts I prepared. I think there must have been just a bit of juice on the counter as the chicken breasts were good and cooked. But, since then, I have been ultra paranoid and, more importantly, ultra careful!

Cheers