Ukrainian condiments [General]

2008 May 13
Hello all!
Does anyone have a recipe for a Ukrainian condiment or sauce known as Kalyna (or Kalenna)? It's made with highbush cranberries and I understand it is typically served with perogies. I had a recipe given to me but I think an ingredient was left out - it was AWFUL! I know the fruit smells like dirty gym socks when you cook it, but I'm told it is an awesome accompaniment to perogies so I'd like to give it another shot. If you can believe it, I cannot find a recipe online ANYWHERE!

Thanks for any help you can provide! I've really gotten into exploring new foods, but my primary interest right now is old-world dishes. I was born in Germany so I think my interest might be fuelled by nostaglia! I'd love to find a bakery that makes authentic, Westphalian brotchen as well, but everywhere I've seen anything called brotchen it bears little resemblance to what I am looking for.

2008 May 15
Hi, I'm not Ukrainian, but married in, just looked through a Ukrainian cookbook I was given and can't find anything, sorry.

There are some dessert perogies that are filled with berries (saskatoon)

2008 May 15
I am Ukrainian and even lived there for a year but never heard of this stuff. I've been waiting anxiously for a response, but since none are forthcoming I may have to pull out a cookbook or two to see what I can find.

2008 May 15
www.saskfruit.com

That might help.

www.kalynacountry.com

"Kalyna" just means highbush cranberry according to the above link.

2008 May 15
My cookbooks turned up nothing.

Post the recipe you have and give us an idea what the thing tastes like that you are looking for, and maybe that will help.

2008 May 15
Darwinsmom, have you tried the Brötchen at Boko? ottawafoodies.com (assuming they still have them). I can't vouch for them being authentic Westphalian fare, but they sure remind me of the Weckli (www.badische-seiten.de) the village baker used to give us in Switzerland.

And if the highbush cranberry is native to Saskatchewan I'd have to guess that Kalyna is a condiment used by Ukrainian settlers in Saskatchewan rather than Ukrainians in the Ukraine, if you know what I'm sayin. ;-)