Hash [General]

2008 May 9
A review of breakfast hash in another thread reminded me how much I love the stuff. My fave is my old family's recipe for Red Flannel Hash, which is a corned or roast beef hash with beets added. Topped with a fried egg...oh boy! There is nothing better!

Does anyone else have any hash-y recipe faves or hash-y tips for me? I'm craving it so much I'll probably make some in the next few days.

2008 May 9
I love corned beef hash... it's so bad for you... but so good. I even resorted to canned corned beef hash - it smelled like dog food, but I ate it anyway, fried up with an egg on top & LOTS of ketchup.

2008 May 10
ooooooohhh Corned beef !!!

As Chimi states "... it smelled like dog food..."

I have nightmares of being forced to eat 'the stuff that came from triangular cans' when I was a kid.

I still shiver when I see those cans on the shelves in stores.

PS: the key to open the can was kinda neat though.

2008 May 11
Cap'n - while corned beef in a can is very easy to find, corned beef hash isn't very easy to find (in Ottawa, at least). I don't know why anyone would want to search for the stuff (hell, I might some day, not any time soon), so if anyone is looking for it, they can find it at Boushey's on Elgin St. Or, next best bet, drive to Ogdensburg right across the border and you can find a variety of "hash" in a can (yes, even LOW SALT LOW FAT - this, surely, is no longer hash!). Even Denny's makes it, I think, with the Irish Slam Skillet or something like that? Yes. I'm a very sick man.

2008 May 11
Chimi ... please stop.

All this talk about hash is giving me flashbacks of Morocco !!

2008 May 12
Hey FIH!
Thanks for the "hash" definition. I guess because of corned beef being (or looking) on the smooshy side, I got it in my head that anything named hash should be as well.
That will teach me to think outside the box (or can in this case!):):)