Hakka Cuisine in Ottawa? [General]

2008 May 7
Last summer I went to this great restaurant in Scarborough called Federick's that specialized in Hakka food. At the time I had never heard of Hakka before, but was pleased when it was described to me as a mix of Chinese/Indian food. Highlights included the chili chicken and pakoras.

Anything like this in Ottawa?

2008 May 7
I don't believe there is - but there is (was?) one in Kingston, which is much less of a drive than Scarborough. If I can find the name/address, I'll post it.

Edit: did a quick search, can't find any evidence of the one in Kingston that I remember... it probably closed due to poor location since it wasn't very central (from what I remember, was located in one of the eastern townships)

2008 May 7
There's only a handful in Toronto so I knew it'd be a stretch. I'd recommend the style of food to anyone - especially you chimi if you're looking for something spicy!

2008 May 8
Not that it helps in the discovery of Ottawa-based locales, but for the curious heading Toronto-way, Chowhound has had a few recent threads concerning the best Hakka restaurants (seems Brampton and Mississauga are good for this), along with lots of side discussion as to the provenance of the cuisine.

www.chow.com

2010 Apr 3
Mosaic Buffet is reportedly Hakka; some web page told me. (Actually, the fact that it's an Indian and Chinese buffet place is a dead giveaway ;)

Although the reviews so far have not been that promising we'll be checking it out soon, and we'll let y'all know.

2010 Apr 3
momomoto - don't bother - at least when Mosiac buffet was in Kanata it was a bad chinese buffet, with an even worse Indian one. Be forewarned!

2010 Apr 3
Yeah, I think I'm setting myself up for disappointment. The Hakka I had in Bombay was pretty damn good, so it'll be tough to live up to!

2010 Aug 30
I just noticed a new restaurant on the scene in Barrhaven, they have a couple of hakka'esque menu items like 'karara manchurian' & 'chilli chicken'. I might just have to try it out. Here's the link to the restaurant: www.karara.ca/

2010 Sep 10
You can get Hakka Noodles at the NASA food store in Barrhaven. They apparently make it on site. Also the india grocery stores like Vaishali and NASA seem to have frozen Hakka preparations which you can take home, heat and serve.