What is your favourite bakery? [General]

2008 Apr 24
I was just reading in today's Citizen online a list of their five favourite places to buy bread. The only place that the Citizen and I agree with is the French Baker. (The others they nominated are Harvest Loaf, Wild Oat, Stittsville Bakery, and Richmond Bakery.) My favourites would be French Baker, Trillium Bakery, Portuguese Bakery, Rideau Bakery and Moulin de Provence. (And anywhere that sells Art-is-In bread of course!) Where are your favourites?

2008 Apr 24
I am a huge fan of Harvest Loaf even though I don't go there often. Trillium is good too - we miss them in Hintonburg :-(

2008 Apr 24
I like Portuguese bakery...if we are having sandwiches my kids like the buns there. I'm not fond of pastry at other bakeries so much...but based on the reviews of others I HAVE to have dessert at Allium sometime. I usually pass on dessert when I eat out.

2008 Apr 24
I like Lisbon Bakery, the French Baker, Three Tarts, Harvest Loaf, Trillium, and occasionally Boko because they occasionally make really good cookies. I had a memorable earl grey sugar cookie with a mint leaf baked on the top. It was... amazing! Mostly though, I eat baked goods from my partner. I have a soft spot (which, mostly, is located around my abdomen) for bakers ;)

2008 Apr 24
I feel your pain, Chimichimi....I am trying to do a lot less "tasting" at work these days because of the "cake belt" I put on over the winter!

2008 Apr 24
I haven't had to try many bakeries in Ottawa, but Art-Is-In-Is-Addictive.

2008 Apr 25
The Richmond Bakery brings back heady memories of my childhood, since I went to public school in Richmond. Delicious and homey.

And I do love the French Baker so. I think that a croissant, a chocolatine, and a café crème is the best weekend breakfast ever.

2008 Apr 26
I like the Rideau Bakery and art-is-in.

Mousseline, where is the portugese bakery and what is it called?

2008 Apr 26
It's just called Portuguese Bakery and it's at the end of Nelson street, north of Rideau.

2008 Apr 27
I have my favourites but because I live in West Carleton I also have some will do's. I love popping into The Ottawa Bagel Shop and picking up some fresh bagels and art-is-in bread, buns, etc. I never know when I'll be there so its hit or miss. I always pick up some frozen pizza dough from Harvest Loaf at the same time. The herb one makes a great "foccacia style" hot bread--often on the bbq in summer. Keep frozen and thaw as needed. I'm a bit of a granola style so I pick up spelt or kamut bread at The Wild Oat or Trillium. (The best comes from Little Stream Bakery in Perth and I'm lucky enough to work at a drop point--I personally love the quinoa loaf, especially toasted.) They also hit the health food stores but its so nice to get it fresh. The Carp Bakery has some pretty good choices--a bit "light" but always fresh and the owners are great. My little butcher shop in Dunrobin has fresh baguettes/bread/bagels. They can't compare to bakeries in the city but they sure are better than "Betty Bread"!