preparing soft shell turtle? [General]

2008 Apr 13
They have lots of frozen soft shell turtles at Uni. They appear to be whole.

Before I head off to google for recipes, I thought I'd ask if anyone has prepared these before? I think I might grab 1 or 2 to try.

2008 Apr 15
Quick question: Where is "Uni". It sounds like a vendor but I can't seem to find it on here.

Cheers

2008 Apr 15
medicinejar Peter is actually referring to Uni Foods. It's a Chinese grocery store in Vanier at the corner of Montreal Road and the Vanier Parkway. (There used to be a Market Fresh there and the Vanier location of Loblaws is nearby...) It's like all of Chinatown under one roof and it's clean! We don't seem to have them listed as a vendor so I guess it's time to add them...

Peter Sorry I can't help with the turtle recipes. I will eat most things but turtle is not one of them. Hopefully someone else can help out?

2008 Apr 15
My dad makes them when I am in HK. He usually braise it with Chinese mushrooms and sometimes mixes in some pork as well. I am pretty sure there is some sort of alcohol in the sauce. The usual suspects, ie. garlic, giner, scallions etc... are always present. I am not sure of the exact recipe, but maybe I can pick his brain next time I call him.

Just curious - are the soft shelled turtles in Uni de-clawed and de-shelled?

2008 Apr 17
Sorry for the slow reponse. No, they are whole.. shell, claws and all by the looks of it.

Oh, and Uni isn't quite on the corner of Montreal and Vanier. It's just a bit west on Montreal, between Vanier and the bridge. Close though!