The best soup dumplings in Shanghai [Travel]

2008 Apr 12
Shanghai is the second largest city in China and is the 8th largest in the world.

My nephew has been to Shanghai twice. The first time when he was there, he was sick and didn't get a chance to try the famous Shanghai soup dumplings (called "Xiao Long Bao" in Chinese). The second time, he made a special trip to Shanghai for 4 days. His goal was to hunt down the best Xiao Long Bao with his wife.

After being disappointed at 3 different restaurants (all claimed to be the best), they finally stumbled upon the best dumplings on their 4th try. He wrote that "If any one of you ever go to Shanghai, you must go to Ao Long Restaurant (敖龙食府). The key to good soup dumplings is first a very thin outer shell. Second, is the tastiness of the soup and meat combination. The ones they tried at Ao Long were so thin that they could see right through them and they were juicy and perfectly seasoned!"

They also managed to fit in lots of great food.

P.S. My nephew told me that Shanghai is like Hong Kong and Macau. The night scene is beautiful!

2008 Apr 12
This photo captured the kitchen staff/chefs making dumplings by hand. The soup dumplings are steamed upon your order.

2008 Apr 12
In addition to soup dumplings, Ao Long is also famous for other Shanghai dishes. Google search indicates that Tung Chee Hwa, the first Chief Executive of Hong Kong (after Hong Kong returning to China) likes to eat their Lion's Head dish (i.e., large pork meatballs stewed with vegetables). His wife likes to eat their drunken chicken (cooked and marinated exclusively in historic Shaoxing wine to create a deep taste).

2008 Apr 12
Yum! Now I'm craving dumplings. Does anyone have a good recipe they'd care to share?

2008 Apr 12
I just went to Outlook and read my nephew's trip report again. He (a CBC, Canadian Born Chinese) also mentioned the following:

"Of all the cities we have been to in China, Shanghai is definitely the most modern, sophisticated and truly international city (outside of Hong Kong of course). The city is very English friendly and there are lots of foreigners living all over the city. You can find any large North American, European, Japanese, Australian or Asian retail chain here (Starbucks are everywhere!) You can also find lots of small unique shops and restaurants. The city is full of luxury hotels, condos and office towers. The people are very polite and extremely stylish (no spitting anywhere)! And depending where you are, you may even forget that you are in China!"

2008 Apr 14
This should probably go in the "desperately seeking" area, but are there any places in Ottawa that sell XLB? I've heard about it a couple of times, and the very concept fascinates me so.

2008 Apr 14
Mmmm. I love xiao long bao. I studied in Shanghai for a year, and every now and then I would hop on my trusty bicycle and brave the traffic to go to a little xiao long bao hole-in-the-wall downtown. The staff made them right in front of you, and there were stack and stacks of steamers filled with these delicious little morsels. I usually ordered two steamers (I'm a soup dumpling glutton) and somehow managed to burn myself every time I bit into a dumpling as the soup squirted out and hit me in the eye. But, man, they were good!

2008 Apr 14
Momomoto, the won ton soup dumplings at Jo Moon Ting are reminiscent of soup dumplings: ottawafoodies.com

I know they aren't the same thing but they do have very thin and delicate wrappers and when you raise them to your mouth they hold some of the soup inside. You can pretend! ;-)

2008 Apr 16
Mark, xiao long bao and won ton soup really taste different. Won ton soup is Cantonese food whereas xiao long bao is Shanghai-nese food. The taste of the wrappers are very different.

Next time you go to Toronto, may I recommend you to try the "xiao long bao" at Ding Tai Fung in the First Markham Place (make sure you ask for their in-house spicy sauce if you order their soup noodles - you can buy it for $5 as well). There are many restaurants by the name of Ding Tai Fung. But the authentic ones are located in Taiwan. So, if you go to Taiwan and want to eat "xiao long bao", you can try Ding Tai Fung. I am sure that the "xiao long bao" at Ding Tai Fung in Taiwan will be as good as those in Shanghai.

In Ottawa, I still can't find any restaurants that can offer good "xiao long bao" (no soup inside the meat). Even the xiao long bao at May's Garden ( May's Garden ) was disappointing. So, I only go to Toronto to eat "xia long bao". The first bite of it will get the soup squirted out as Downtown Diner pointed out.

2008 May 23
If anyone wants to try their hand at making xiao long bao at home, this is the page for you: steamykitchen.com

(found via www.grouprecipes.com)

2012 Aug 27
bumping this

i was working in Toronto for a few weeks this summer and took it upon myself to eat Xiao Long Bao at virtually every place that offered it in the GTA. it's worth noting that even in the Big Smoke, good soup dumplings seem to be pretty scarce to begin with. that being said, in my opinion the best places are definitely north of the City in Richmond Hill/Markham.

one of my personal favourites was Northern Dumpling Kitchen in the Times Square Mall on Highway #7, not far from Ding Tai Fung. Northern Dumpling Kitchen had a pretty solid xiaolongbao that easily rivaled DTF - i found them a little fattier and more flavourful, with just the right amount of soup. they also had really stellar cold plates (smoked pork belly, sliced pork leg, drunken chicken) and other great dumpling choices (pork & leek by far my favourite). it's worth a stop if you're in the area.

while i'm reviving this post, is there any update on finding xiao long bao in Ottawa? is May's Garden still the only option?

2012 Aug 28
It's funny you mention this, monty, as I finally experienced Xiao Long Bao this weekend during a visit to Toronto to take the kids to Wonderland. We first had them at Ding Tai Fung (pictured here), and then again at Asian Legend (Sheppard Ave location) the following evening. We deemed the DTF ones to be slightly better, but were quite thrilled with both restaurants -- food and service were top notch!

Maybe we'll get to hit the Northern Dumpling Kitchen next time. :-)

2012 Aug 28
On a related note, for those of you who are interested in authentic Chinese food, this show from the Beeb with Ken Hom and Ching-He Huang is pretty interesting:
www.bbc.co.uk
You'll need a VPN to watch it, but I've enjoyed it so far (and I have no interest at all in authentic Chinese).

2012 Aug 30
@BrianMc, I was introduced to XLB at Joe's Shanghai in NYC's Chinatown:

www.joeshanghairestaurants.com

This was easily the food highlight of my trip to New York and I dreamt about XLB for a long time afterwards, raving to my husband about what he missed. I have since tried the XLB at Ding Tai Fung in Toronto but sadly these paled by comparison, somehow lacking the rich, intensely flavoured broth I remember from Joe's Shanghai.