Spring Beef Order [Food/Vendor]

2008 Apr 12
We just got our spring beef order, and for the first time in a few years we weighed it all out and put it into a spreadsheet. It was $250.25 for a quarter side - 27884g.

You can see the breakdown here as to what cuts we got and how much each cut worked out to :

spreadsheets.google.com

Note that you have a great deal of control over how it's cut. This time around my wife gave him some very specific instructions and she was very happy with the results. Of course, what I did not know that part of her instructions were "how many roasts can I get, and what's that going to do to hubby's steaks?" :-)

2008 Apr 12
One interesting fact - I just compared the price/kg with our Spring 2003 and Spring 2004 orders, and the price has not really changed. This time it is just shy of $9/kg. 2003 was just over $8/kg. 2004 was just OVER $9/kg. So actually price has gone down a bit.

2008 Apr 12
Oh yeah, in addition to what's on that list, we also got a whack of soup bones - probably 20 litres or so volume-wise. I just hauled out the huge pressure canner and am going to boil them for a half hour or so at 15psi, then let them cool and separate out the bones and junk. Then finally can up some beef broth for use at any time.

2008 Apr 12
Zymurgist - Sounds great. Unfortunately now that the kids are gone, I can't possibly use up a beef order in a timely fashion. The soup bones are a nice addition, homemade broth that you can freeze and use whenever needed is a real bonus.

2008 Apr 12
No, can the broth, not waste freezer space :-)

But the meat freezes really well. This is a year's worth for us - with some ground beef that goes even beyond a year. Keeps perfectly fine in that time.

2008 Apr 13
Hmmm, I didn't get as much broth as I was expecting - only 2.5 litres. And there was not nearly as much meat on the soup bones this time around as there usually is. Oh well, I'll just add it to the collection :-)

2008 Apr 13
this is very ideal, ordering a 'cow'.
I wish I had the freezer space for it. and the stomach space!
I think my parents split with another family and i've heard of other people going 4 ways. There is a LOT of beef amazingly.