Shortage drives rice prices to record high [General]

2008 Apr 9
I hope that the rice price won't be like the oil price. The global rice shortage has forced the rice price to record high. China, India, Egypt, Vietnam and Cambodia have either imposed minimum export prices, export taxes or export quotas.

T&T supermarket (major Asian supermarket in Toronto) indicates that prices have basically been doubled. Next time when I go to 168 Market ( New 168 Market ), I better pick up few more rice bags to stock up.

Has Loblaws or other supermarkets increased the rice price yet?

2008 Apr 9
Get used to it ... this is just the beginning. Actually, it's not even that since wheat has already doubled. Food is never again going to be as cheap as it's been. From here on in, it's only going to get more and more expensive

2008 Apr 9

I'm so glad I'm invested in food !!! See entry here ---> ottawafoodies.com <---

"Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves; we will come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves."

PS: Get ready for the $35-40/kilo steaks !! (and I don't mean Kobe).

2008 Apr 9
It is worrysome how high these prices might go. Ashley I will have to follow your example and stock up. I like the long grain Dainty Rice they sell at Dollarama but if the cost of rice goes up I guess they won't be carrying it anymore. If I hear of any specials I will pass along the info.

2008 Apr 11
My husband was in downtown yesterday and I asked him to make a special trip to 168 Market to buy few more rice bags. He phoned me back later that all the rice bags were sold out. I can't believe that!

2008 Apr 11
I just got back from Mountain Path (www.mountainpath.com/) where I bought a bunch of staples including flour, rice, barley, millet, 2 types of lentils and more. I got 10kg organic long grain brown rice from Texas for $21. Not sure if that's a good price or not - don't think I've ever bought organic rice before.

2008 Apr 21
Rice is being rationed by some stores in the US

www2.nysun.com/article/74994

2008 May 1
Ashley just to give you a heads up that the superstore on Richmond has Rose brand jasimine rice on sale at $10.98 for an 18 lb. bag. The sale starts tomorrow. I'm not sure what their stock is like but I have been doing spot checks at some of the grocery stores I have been visiting over the last couple of weeks and the bags of rice seem to be getting low...

2008 May 1
Its not organic but "Thaimati" jASMINE RICE, 5 KG in Kanata at Loeb 11.02 lb (5kg) is $7.69. I bought 3-- & will keep them in the freezer! This is the regular price--not a bad price...(and gas at xdollars--I think I saved just by stopping.)