and the irish pub... [General]

2008 Apr 2
how do you rate the Irish pub on the corner, cant remember its name, says old poor house at the top of the building. Is the food fresh?

2008 Apr 2
Harveyshid... can you give a wee bit better description than that? Is it downtown... in the Market, on Sparks?

2008 Apr 2
I think harvey is referring to the Aulde Dubliner/Pour House (Aulde Dubliner). It's owned by the same group as the Heart & Crown/Irish Village.

Can't comment on the food as I haven't eaten much else but standard pub fare when it first opened. Nice patio for people watching.

www.auldedubliner.com

2008 Apr 2
Thats the one, thanks

2008 Apr 2
The food was pretty generic the last time I was there and the service was brutal. I tried their brunch one weekend as well, and it was also very generic.

2008 Apr 3
Ah.. that used to be the Peel Pub!

2008 Apr 3
I used to do the pub crawl with the Haunted Walk and the Pour House was one of the stops. Staff was friendly, good service, decently priced drinks. And you could usually get a seat, which is a bonus! Mind you, we weren't going at peak times as we were there around 8:30.

I don't remember much about the food, but their strawberry daiquiri with Bailey's is heaven... the food downstairs at the Aulde Dubliner is decent. I had a wrap there last summer. And you really can't beat the location.

2008 Apr 3
LOL, this the best place indoors to people watch in the entire market. If you get a table upstairs by the front window you can enjoy a leisurely lunch and a brew, and see all the comings and goings below you in the market. A perfect way to spend an afternoon when it is too cold (or rainy) to sit outside on a patio.

2008 Apr 3
Yes, I agree with Food&Think. My husband and I used to do that all the time. It is especially fun to watch the cars go by. So many of them don't properly stop for the lights, or float too far into the intersection while they are waiting, or whatever. Keeps you entertained for a while, anyhow. ;)

2008 Apr 3
I've been there once and the fish and chips were good. Well to be honest the chips left no impression on me, but I remember the fish being very good.