Best steak in Ottawa [General]

2008 Mar 28
Hello everyone. I'm having a friend of mine visiting me soon, and I was trying to think of a place, that would have good "local" food, some specialities.. but finally decided that the best thing would be taking him to a good steak-house, which would be both tasty and local-culture. But after spending a year in the capital I'm still not sure about the best place for a good steak. I've been to several places and at the moment I can probably distinguish Hy's (but pricy) and Highlander Pub (which to my mind serves best meat for that money, 14,95 for the NY steak). What else? I've been to Keg, but it didn't impress me. I think it would be useful for many people, if each foodie could outline say 3 best steak places giving short comments for each (best budget, pricy but best atmosphere, and so on), thus we could have something like a steak-rating! Thanks in advance and cheers!

2008 Mar 28
Hi Moscovite. I'm not a steak expert, but I can point you to the following discussions on this site:

* Steak
* ottawafoodies.com/forum/95
* ottawafoodies.com/forum/867

...those should give you something to read whilst awaiting more replies. :-)

2008 Mar 28
My 2 picks for best steak in non-steakhouse type of places...

1) For lunch, the steak-frites at Allium Allium, just the right portion for lunch, perfect allumette frites, tasty greens and a great aioli.

2) Dinner, the blackened filet mignon at Big Daddy's Big Daddy's Crab Shack is actually very very decent...

2008 Mar 31
For what it's worth, I've found that Outback does a remarkably good job of seared bovine, and of course there is the much-celebrated Sterling Steak House on the other side of the river, in the old village of Gatineau (go strictly for the beef).
Also, for steak ,The Keg Manor in Westboro is good.
Regards,
Ron