Room |Service [General]

2008 Mar 20
I caught the Great Canadian Food Show this afternoon, and Carlo Rota was hosting a dinner for friends at the Royal York, Toronto. The twist was that this dinner was in a suite and came via Room Service. Now I'm not sure if Room Service at the Royal York means that one can order anything that the hotel serves in it's finest Dining Rooms (foie gras, lobster, etc)... but that was the gist of the show.

So, I was wondering has everyone ordered Room Service? And if so was it just the usual stuff... coffee, breakfast or dessert. Has anyone every done the whole romantic dinner thing in a Hotel and had it in room?

--- --- ---

Unfortunately, my experience is the basic coffee, dessert and the occasional breakfast. I find, sometimes having breakfast in the room is a nice way to begin the day, you can have it leisurely while you get ready for your day. And well as long as the coffee arrives HOT it sure beats out those in-room coffee makers.

Someday, though I want that whole romantic dinner in the room thing that you see in the movies!

2008 Mar 20
Haven't ever eaten room service myself.... however, being one of the cooks at Arc hotel i can attest to the fact that is more common than one would imagine for the guests to order full course (ie restaurant menu) meals to their rooms. we have also gone as far as bringing a table and linenes up to one persons room at their request for a romantic dinner for 2. We always suggest coming down to the restaurant because of the general ambiance service, and plating etc... but many clients in hotels are business people travelling and dining alone.

2008 Mar 21
If you want to do the whole romantic dinner / room service I would strongly recommend www.arcthehotel.com, downtown. My wife and I used to go there every year for our anniversary (before we had kids). You know it's going to be good when they serve you champagne as you check in! Oh, and I wrote that without reading the p4est post above - coincidence or what? :-)

2008 Mar 21
For me, a perfect vacation always involves me ordering breakfast through room service. I have occassionally got something other than room service but that has only been a late night snack to have with wine or after a trip when I wanted a drink.

Breakfast from room service is something I always look forward to. I especially like to order it the night before so I get up when I intend to and get to sit in my room and eat, usually, eggs benedict. A wonderful way to start the day!

Cheers

2008 Mar 22
My sis and I ordered breakfast room service at Lac Leamy Hotel, it was a breakfast for one, but it was more than enough food for both of us, and it was very dainty!! I would recommend to anyone. It was over two years ago so don't remember exactly what came.

2008 Mar 22
I don't think I've ever *really* had room service. Some day, perhaps. But most of the time I'm in a hotel for business, rather than pleasure.

This means that what I have to do first thing in the morning is get as far away from the hotel as possible!

2008 Mar 23
Never been a big fan of room service as I find the convenience "charges" in the prices of the meals a little outlandish. I'll pay $15-$20 for an appetizer at a nice fine dining restaurant, but not for a greasy-spoon breakfast special (even worse, an overpriced continental breakfast)

I've stayed in some nice hotels but I'd rather saunter down to the restaurant than order straight to my room. Although the idea of eating a full course meal in my underwear does sound tempting...lol....

2008 Mar 23
Last time I was on business was last summer and the hotel in Boston had the same prices for room service as for the restaurant downstairs. I did end up having a few full course meals in my room mainly because I was working quite a bit and it was easy to keep working through dinner that way

2008 Mar 24
On cruise ships, where everything is inclusive, you can often get your meals delivered to your room for free ( or at least the cost of gratuity ). A waste if you are in the bowels of the ship, but if you have a wonderful ocean view, with a patio, and table and chairs, it can be totally worth it. Very romantic...

2008 Mar 25
I sometimes find it convenient to use room service when staying at a hotel, especially when I'm in a bit of a rush and need something to eat before going out to a show. I justify the inflated prices by picking up my own beer or wine on the way to the hotel.

Last time me and my girlfriend ordered room service at The Intercontinental in Montreal it came with the foldout table decked out in linens. It was a very nice unexpected touch.

I don't order breakfast at a hotel anymore though. Even if you eat in the restaurant I find the price gouging for that meal particularly exorbitant.

2008 Mar 25
Pete-In-Ottawa - Thanks for the tip about cruise ships, I will file this away hopefully for future reference (and enjoyment).

2008 Mar 27
Getting room service while travelling for business is a guilty pleasure of mine... nothing beat my jager schnitzel platter & a couple of bottles of beer delivered to my room after a 14+hr day in the sweltering sun.

2008 Mar 28
Chimi.. I have to get myself a job with some travel benefits!